Need some guidance..

You obviously don't have as many one-shot kills on cervids (and no cripples) with a .22-250 Rem and 52gr BTHPs as I have amassed. But then, I never pulled the trigger with the mindset or the sight picture for doing "massive internal damage" on either man or beast...

Creedmoore is not any better than the Swiss 6.5x55. Creedmoore only developed to fit in AR platform. Spend less and the Swiss 6.5 is a very capable cartridge. This constant selling of new and overpriced cartridges only takes more $$ from your pockets.

I agree with ya Will that the Creedmoor is not as powerful as the Swiss but is a pretty efficient round as far as powder usage and plenty of zip and energy for deer sized game. I don't expect that it will go away any time soon as it has been promoted much more in the US than the swiss 6.5. Now many rifle manufactures in the US and elsewhere make rifles for it so I expect it will probably be around forever.

Now the question is.. Do I buy one off the shelf or piece one together? If anything I've been looking at Tikka and then replacing the stock and putting an aftermarket barrel on it with the muzzle brake.
There is one problem with muzzle breaks and hunting. The sound directed back is such that you have to carry ear muffs or you will get hearing damage when you shoot as various ear plugs and even noise cancellation plugs do not do the job. You know that you are getting permanent damage if you have ringing in your ears after shooting; means that hair cells in the cochlea have been killed. We older guys who are losing hearing take it pretty seriously. So the challenge is to select something that you can shoot off the bench without a muzzle break, and carries a
enough wallop to do what you want done at the distance you want to shoot with minimal or no ear protection while hunting. We don't usually use the muzzle break on the bench and take it off for hunting; it is too big a variable.

I get that the 6.5 CM is the magic cartridge... why did people all of a sudden forget the .260 exists? it is literally an apples to apples argument and the .260 came out a decade before the creed? marketing hype, the same reason people buy diet coke and still get fat.

Now the question is.. Do I buy one off the shelf or piece one together? If anything I've been looking at Tikka and then replacing the stock and putting an aftermarket barrel on it with the muzzle brake.
Go with a new Browning x bolt pro in 300 win mag. Awsome value for a semi custom gun. Full carbon fiber stock, full stainless action and 26" fluted barrel with brake, spiral fluted bolt and bolt handle all Cerakote. 6lbs 10oz bare. Awsome rifle and they shoot like a dream.

I too believe there is an incredible amount of misguided information being peddled about the 6.5. Is it good for ringing steel? Sure, no doubt. But as others have said, I can ring steel ALL day with my 22-250 and 80 grain Bergers. Does that make it my preferred elk rifle? Not a chance.
I started hunting elk over 30 years ago. I had a 30-06 that was more than adequate for my elk hunting for over 20 years. 180 grain Sierra Gamekings were more than enough if I did my part. Unfortunately that did not always happen. I wanted more of a DRT rifle. A very good friend sold a 300 WM that I used for three years. Never had anything walk or run away from the cartridge. I HATE belted cartridges. Just my personal feeling. When I could scrape the money together I bought a 300 RUM. Loaded with 175 grain Barnes TTSX bullets that was my modern version of Thor's hammer.
But when it comes to elk, I have always believed in the bigger, faster is better. I saved my pennies and nickels to have custom rifle built. When the smith ask what I wanted, I told him that I was a fan Townsend Whelen and wanted an accurate rifle. He built me a 338 Edge (I know not on the shelf at every country store) the will put five rounds in 3/8ths of an inch with 280 grain Barnes TTSX bullets at a hundred yards. When I do my part.
To your question directly. If elk hunting is your main purpose for the rifle, 300 WM. Don't like the belt but, in my opinion, much better for hunting elk than the 6.5.

Quick and to the point. I've hunted WY big game most of my 68 years. You can kill an elephant with a 22lr. Would you? No way!! Use the 300WM for any big game larger than antelope especially at longer distances than 100yds.

There is one problem with muzzle breaks and hunting. The sound directed back is such that you have to carry ear muffs or you will get hearing damage when you shoot as various ear plugs and even noise cancellation plugs do not do the job. You know that you are getting permanent damage if you have ringing in your ears after shooting; means that hair cells in the cochlea have been killed. We older guys who are losing hearing take it pretty seriously. So the challenge is to select something that you can shoot off the bench without a muzzle break, and carries a
enough wallop to do what you want done at the distance you want to shoot with minimal or no ear protection while hunting. We don't usually use the muzzle break on the bench and take it off for hunting; it is too big a variable.

You are aware this is a long range hunting site, no?

Are you aware the-late Roy Weatherby took a Cape Buffalo with a .257Wby?

"Range" is typically defined as: a set of different things of the same general type.

Ballistically, "range" is generally a function of a specific caliber's ballistic properties; the projectile's mass; and terminal velocity. Sans the affect of the Earth's rotational drift...

I've hunted elk a lot and can tell you in my opinion (everyone has them), the 6.5 Creedmoor is not what you want or need for what you are looking for.
I have a 6.5 and they are very accurate but I wouldn't use it for elk hunting
I would recommend the following calibers:
300 WSM or WM - from personal experience they are very good from long shots on large animals like elk
The 7Mag is also a good choice and while I am not a huge fan, I have experience with them and they also are good on large game at long range
I'm not a fan of the 338Mag because of the recoil since I like to do a lot of bench work when dialing in handloads and the recoil is more than I want to deal with.
I've used 270WSM to shoot several elk but I kept the shots under 300 yards
As for muzzle breaks, I've used a KDF and like them, but realize a break adds a lot of blast and additional noise to the shooter so hearing protection will be critical.
Also if you plan to do much shooting from the ground/bipod set up, I'd look for a break that has no holes/openings on the bottom so you have less dust blow up when you shoot - it will make a quick follow up shot very difficult and can also blow dust onto the scope lens creating problems there as well.
Generally the accepted kinetic energy for elk was 1500 ft-lbs and I'd use that as a guide the 6.5 is good to about 350 yards so it wouldn't be the long range elk shooter you're looking for.

I killed an elk with a Ford Sable but don't recommend it. The .308 is good for anything in North America. Having a rifle chambered with a newer cartridge only creates problems such as forgetting to pack your ammo or wasn't allowed to take ammo with you. Few places carry this stuff in remote areas. Too much media hype about modern cartridges being 150fps faster, the animal will never know it. Iwould bet that average distances for game shot is well within 200 yards.

I live in utah. When u find a gun you like look up Black label precision they will hook u up with a great muzzle break. Or a great rifle

I will be moving to Utah from Oklahoma in March. I definitely will be getting into Elk hunting and I was told to go with a 6.5 Creedmore. My main goal is primarily to hunt Elk and do some long range shooting at a range with yardage up to 2,000yds. I was also contemplating building a 300WM and putting a good muzzle brake on it to help with recoil. With me being new to Elk hunting I told the gentleman I don't plan on shooting past 400-500yds. I'm just concerned with penetration with the 6.5 Creedmore on a large animal. Also, what would you guy's recommend for a good muzzle brake? Thanks for any input gentlemen.

What happened to 270 WIN. ? Anyone still shoot that besides me? Marketing has demanded the wheel be reinvented.
270 win. Good choice of bullets. Guns. Very effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.