Guidance needed

BlackSS

Looking to do my first custom LR build and looking for some advice.

Hoping to end up with 1000 yd hammer at around 15 lbs all dressed out with a nightforce and bi pod.

I have in my possession a stainless LH rem 700 in 300 RUM as my starting point.

I am planning:
29-30" Lilja #6 or 7 barrel (fluted)
CSR muscle brake
Jewell trigger
Nightforce scope / rings / base / ACI etc....

I already have selected a builder and have some guidance from builder, would like some more opinions.

Questions:
Most importantly, caliber. Thinking 338 edge, Lapua, or perhaps even staying with the 300 rum. The 338s are more than I need, but I would assume would give me a better barrel life with less over bore. Open to suggestions here, as long as brass forming is reasonable I may consider it. I will hand load whatever the final choice is.

Stock: something in the $300-500 range. Nothing too pretty as I do not want to be scared to use the gun, would love a Russo, but I would be terrified every time it was out of the safe. Something reasonable to use in the field, prone, as well as from a bench, and something LH. I would like to keep repeater functionality, so bottom metal suggestions as well if needed. Probably leaning toward composite / laminate.

If you build a 15 pound edge you will love it. I love mine more than ever and it is new, but has so much to prove every time I shoot it.

If you really need a 1K hammer, the 7mmSTW loaded with some Berger 180 VLD's, or a .30-378 Wby Mag loaded with some Berger 210 VLD's would be perfect for what you are needing.

I like the sound of your setup so far (minus left-handed part. LOL), but I think you're in the right direction. Not sure of Lilja's contour list, but I know a Shilen #17 is a Remington Sendero contour. I think that contour and weight would be all you'd need with a 28" tube. For the 7mmSTW, a 1:9 twist will be perfect. For the .30 cal a 1:10 will be perfect.

I'll second the 7mm with 180 gr Berger Hunting VLD's.
My long ranger is a 7 Rem Mag with 28" #19 Fluted 9 twist Kreiger barrel, BAT HR action, Jewell trigger, Greybull stock, Badger Max 50 rings and a S&B PMII 4-14x50 scope. It weighs 13.5 lbs as described. This particular rifle shoots minute of marmot past 1200 yards.
When I find the range limit of this rifle, then I'll upgrade to a .338, but that will be for mile or more ranges.
What do you intend to shoot with your rifle?

Realistically game will likely be hogs and white tail, perhaps aoudad. As I said, this is not something I really need, just something I want. I have 270 WSM that is more accurate than I am capable of shooting already, so I'm thinking .30 at least.

Barrel contour is close to sendero, slightly heavier I believe.

Are you shooting the 165 gr. Matrix VLD's out of your 270 WSM? If not, the 7 mag with the Bergers will put you on a different level.
That said, the reason I would go to a .338 next is the 30 cal. will no do anything I cannot already do with my 7mm.
The heavy 338 cal. VLD bullets are a real step up in BC.

Like Brad said......270 and .284 (7mm) are on 2 totally different wavelengths.

I hate a .270 caliber projectile. Never have liked them. Always been a big fan of everything else around it, though....For example, love a .257, 7mm, and .30 calibers.

The 7mm Berger VLD's have such a high ballistic coefficient, that even the .30 calibers can't keep up, when measuring grain-for-grain bullet weight.

7mm RemMag with 168gr Berger VLD's would do all you need it to do, if you are hunting hogs and deer. Deer out to 1,000. And hogs to around 600 yards, just b/c they have such tough skin.

7 STW may be something I'm interested in. What cartridge is it based on? Bolt face?

7 STW is the 8mm Mag case necked down to 7mm. It is based on the 375 H&H.
I used a Rem 700 long action, 30-06, for a .300 Jarrett which is based on the same case. It worked just fine. I did have a longer Wyatt magazine box installed.

Remington 700 long-action with a magnum bolt face will work just fine. However, the Wyatt's 4.000" extended box magazine setup is nice, b/c it allows you to run your full-length (pressed against the lands) and still be a repeater for hunting. I have debated on having this piece installed, but don't want to ruin the value of my original 1-owner Sendero SF 7mmSTW.

Brad is correct. It is based off the 8mm Remington Magnum, which was based off the .375 H&H cartridge.

How is barrel life compared to an Edge or Lapua? Would think it must be significantly worse.

I have been told 1,500+ rounds. I've had mine since new (11 years now) haven't kept track of the number of rounds through it...It still shoots 1-hole groups.

If you take a new barrel, break it in properly with the barrel mfg's break-in process reccomendation. Then have your smith remove the barrel, and send it off to have it melonited, then when you get your barrel back, you have fun, and I have been told that it can double your barrel life. So you could get 2,500-3,000 rounds out of a 7mmSTW. Which would be MORE than worth the cost of the meloniting process.

The STW is a commitment. And once it bites you, you are hooked for life. It's one of the BEST long-range magnum cartridges there is. Especially paired with H1000 powder, Nosler brass, and Berger 180gr VLD bullets.

With the build you have listed I would try and push the budget a little and get a Manners or McMillan. The 338 edge would be tough to beat. What is your primary purpose for the rifle? Seems like a #7 contour might get heavy if you plan on packing a long way in.

I would like to think that I will need to pack the rifle in, but at this point with 2 little kids at home it is tough enough to convince the wife to let me go sit in a deer blind...

I am building with the thought of eventually carrying the rifle though, so I appreciate the advice.

How would one go about getting reloading dies for an edge or other "wildcat" round? This would be my first non factory chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.