Need some advice please on a few rifles

PeterT1977

I have a Montana X2 in 6.5 Creedmoore #2 barrel , I'm looking at getting a Remington SPS Varmint in 22-250 or a Ruger Varmint/target in 22-250. Which one should I go with out should I just use my Montana and put on quality optics on it. I'm looking for a new coyote gun. Thank you

Are you hunting coyotes to save fur or to protect livestock/wild game/thin out predators?

The 6.5 will carry better in the wind farther out and you can go with a wide range of bullet weights if the aim is predator control.

If saving fur the .22-250 has lighter bullet weights but they run so fast, can be a bit on the explosive side with thin skinned game like coyotes for exit wounds. Many a coyote has fallen to the .22-250 though.

I utilize .223 with 40gr Fiocchi ammo and they are a bit more fur friendly.

Tell us a bit more of what you are looking to accomplish, will help steer your path.

I'm looking to save fur, and protect the new season calves. I have the Montana X2 already waiting for optics, and I saw these 2 rifles at the local shop. I'm not really in the know about Ruger / Remington because I'm more of a M70 person. Ballistics wise I know between the 6.5 and the 22-250 more of which of the rifles I should pick or stick with the Montana. Thank you for your response.

Either the Remington or Ruger will be flat shooting rifles in .22-250. If doing any calling/hiking then weight would be the next factor to consider if carrying them for any distance.

There will be much more for aftermarket support with the Remington SPS (triggers, stocks, etc) since that has the model 700 action and one of the most popular rifle actions out there. If you decide to tweak the rifle at all down the line that is (suggest you consider a Triggertech Primary trigger if you go the Remington route. Much, much better over the factory trigger! Adjustable from 1.5-4lbs and no creep, like a glass rod snapping!)

If you go with good glass on the Montana, that is always a good investment.

You have a tough decision, you have good platforms to work with either way and flat shooting calibers that have readily available ammo in many weights if buying off the shelf. Let us know what you decide!

If you reload Tikka offers a 22-250 with an 8 twist barrel. This would let you load heavier bullets for longer range and fur friendly. Tikka's are also accurate with good triggers and lighter rifles to carry around.

Either the Remington or Ruger will be flat shooting rifles in .22-250. If doing any calling/hiking then weight would be the next factor to consider if carrying them for any distance.

There will be much more for aftermarket support with the Remington SPS (triggers, stocks, etc) since that has the model 700 action and one of the most popular rifle actions out there. If you decide to tweak the rifle at all down the line that is (suggest you consider a Triggertech Primary trigger if you go the Remington route. Much, much better over the factory trigger! Adjustable from 1.5-4lbs and no creep, like a glass rod snapping!)

If you go with good glass on the Montana, that is always a good investment.

You have a tough decision, you have good platforms to work with either way and flat shooting calibers that have readily available ammo in many weights if buying off the shelf. Let us know what you decide!
I will, thank you.

If you reload Tikka offers a 22-250 with an 8 twist barrel. This would let you load heavier bullets for longer range and fur friendly. Tikka's are also accurate with good triggers and lighter rifles to carry around.
Never been a fan of Tikka, however I'll take a look thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.