Need some advice on upgrades for my 300 Win Mag

excaliber

I have a semi custom Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag. The gun has a Bartlein # 5R 26" barrel on it. The stock is a HS Precision stock that weighs 2.3 lbs. It has a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS scope on it. I'm really happy with the gun. Not so much with the scope.
The guns shoots one ragged hole at 200 yards if I do my part. I've never had a gun this accurate and would like to improve on it.

The gun weighs around 9 3/4 lbs loaded with the sling. I want to lose the Leupold scope and replace it with a Zeiss V4 (4x16x44) or the V4 6x24x50 which add around 9-11 oz. The scope has already been back to Leupold for an erector adj or replacement. I'm not sure what they did to it. I think the V4 would be a nice upgrade.

I'd like to go with a McMillan Remington Hunter stock with Edge fill.
Does anyone here have one of these stocks? I'm curious what the stock weighs.

Last edited:
I have a semi custom Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag. The gun has a Bartlein # 5R 26" barrel on it. The stock is a HS Precision stock that weighs 2.3 lbs. It has a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS scope on it. I'm really happy with the gun. Not so much with the scope.
The guns shoots one ragged hole at 200 yards if I do my part. I've never had a gun this accurate and would like to improve on it.

The gun weighs around 9 3/4 lbs loaded with the sling. I want to lose the Leupold scope and replace it with a Zeiss V4 (4x16x44) which adds around 9 oz. The scope has already been back to Leupold for an erector adj or replacement. I'm not sure what they did to it. I think the V4 would be a nice upgrade.

I'd like to go with a McMillan stock with Edge fill that will give me a much better stock and make up for the extra scope weight putting me right back at my starting weight.

I'm not sure which stock as I just got a reply from McMillan saying I could go with this stock below

I was hoping they could build the McMillan hunter with the Edge fill. see below

If anyone has one of these stocks and could offer some input on how they like them it would really be appreciated.

any thoughts on my proposed upgrades?
Sounds li8ke you are the right track maybe upgrade the trigger to a jewell or some other good after market replacement if you have not already and a good bedding job into the new stock

I completed step 1 of my upgrade today. I bought a Demo Zeiss V4 6-24x50 with the #93 ZMOA-1 reticle from Redhawk Rifles.
Now I just need to find some input on the McMillan Remington Hunter stock.

Bed the: scope rings to scope, the action, and upgrade the trigger. You can have a smith check the timing to get it perfect if you want with the trigger install.

But if it already shoots great..............

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.