Need second gun

I agree ric, the problem is as follows.

I am currently shooting a factory 7rm (a "custom shop" ks), accuracy is fine but not spectacular. I am waiting for a 6,5-284 ( by the way, how long does it take nesika to build an action? do they have to extract the iron and work it themselves-- order was placed in february), and almost on the edge to a 300 rum.. the reasoning to me is rather simple... the 6,5 will cover up to deer seized game, at rather decent ranges.... and the 7rm would be only slightly over that, so if going with a custom rifle, I´d better jump up to a 30 cal. This means I´ll get rid probably of the 7rm, and am searching for an excuse not to go with a 7wsm ¡¡ In fact, when ordering the 6,5-284 I strongly considered a 7wsm, but went fot the 6,5 precisely because as you say, accuracy kills.

RD.. 450 yards give or take 50.. depends on your rifle...

Alg...

well you had it right but messed it up... LOL..

my 7wsm shooting 175 SMK's at 2830 fps runs neck and neck with my 300WM shooting 200 gr bullets at 2900fps.

The 7wsm shooting the 162 A-max out runs the WM shooting the 200 gr bullets..

the 7WSM will out run nearly anything but the faster 7's and the big 30 cals 240 gr and the 338's but then you pay for their performance in recoil...

I am not a speed freak when shooting anything. However, the 162 A-MAx at 2950 fps... just slices wind and carries the energy because fo the .620 BC
The 175 SMK carroes the weight real well and does an excellent job of cutting wind with a BC of .608.. the a-max still wins... but for Large Mulies and Elk the 175 SMK get my nod.. I like weight except on women LOL!!!
The 162 A-max will be my Antelope / High desert Mulie bullet

haven't decided what to use for whitetail at 200 lbs or less... those deer are taken inside of 150 yards and I am afraid the a-max might get a bit too graphic... but I like the 168 gr SMK for this as well.. just havn't worked a load for it yet.. althought the 150 BT shoots a ragged hole at 3100 fps!!!

like I said before Chris convinced me the 7WSM just may be ticket and way over looked.. I laughed at it.. thinking for energy and power the 30 cal. has them all whooped except for the 338's .. but after seeing a steel target just crushed by the 162 A-max at 550 yards I may change my mind..hehehe I hit the same target with the 200 gr accubond the impact wasn't nearly as satisfying .. LOL...

we are off to the desert and the Snowy Range tomorrow so hopefully in 2 weeks Chris and I will have a full report on what is theory and what is fact...

just hope my silly *** shoots straight under pressure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Red Dog,
Untill i bought my Win Stealth in 300WSM the most powerfull rifle i had owned was a 22-250, i had tried allsorts of calibres from to 222 to 416 Rigby. Only during a prolonged detail at the range with a 308 VLS did i develope concerns about recoil, thinking to myself this is'nt fun anymore, the recoil is starting to become uncomfortable.

Over the years i refined my bench technique and coped better with recoil but i was still worried that i had made a mistake when i bought the 300WSM.
After touching off my first handload (63grns of H4350 and 185 Scenar) i was pleasantly surprised that the rifle was comfortable to shoot. To be fair though, the combo of heavey barrel, big scope, heavy duty mounts and rings did bring the weight to just short of 13 pounds.

With my confidence improved i am now ready to move up to a 338 but it will be of similar or heavier weight and have a brake.
The 300WSM will certainly flatten any of the game that you have mentioned and when loaded with lighter bullets will be an excellent longrange varmint round.

By the way i too am married to the most wonderfull woman in the world, she too does not want to spend any money unless she absolutely has to, even if i tell her to go and treat herself.
Understanding of my needs to attend the range is also equalled by her understanding of my passion for casting my fishing tackle at all the local rivers and lakes as often as i can.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Ian, I guess we are just very blessed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thanks for the input but I don't think a 13 pound rig was what I have in mind.

Ric, the ballistics of the 280 sound just right. Plus I wouldn't need to buy a new shell holder (talk about cheep!)

My research while watching football this weekend revealed that my options in the 280 are Ruger, Browning and Sako. I'd love to get the Sako with the 24 inch bll. What is the opinion on the Ruger vs A-bolt? What would be the best way to accurize the trigger? I understand the Ruger pull is measured in tons. Any other concerns? Any way for me to get a 7wsm that will accept the larger bullets for a reasonble cost?

Thanks to all for the input. I had to laugh out loud last night when I read someone's post about his wife hating this site! I am going to restrain myself to the lunch hour for now on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Today went to the Manatee gun club, 700m range. Hit a gallon milk jug at 480 yrds three sots in a row with my T# 243 using 70 gr SMKs. Didn't try any long shots due to high winds.

Also shot an 3006 and a 300WM. Recoil from the 3006 was fine and the 300WM was not nearly as bad as I feared. I have (I think) reached the conclusion to go with a 7mmRM. One consideration that is not as important after today is that I could load the 7RM "down" to mimic 280 balistis and use only a few grains of additional powder. I assume this would prodcue a recoil nearly the same as the 280. How would this affect accuracy?

Guns for the 7RM: T3 SS Lam, 24 3/8" BBL with 9.5 twist OR Remy XCR with 26"bbl and 9 1/4 twist????

My neighborhood gun merchant can order anything I want at 10% over his price. Is this a good deal?

Ric, can't wait to get your feild report. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hunt deer in wisconsin to montana ive shot elk out west and have used a 300 win mag with 180gr. Never had to track game more than 50 yards plus the potential for longer ranges is there but will warn the recoil for target shooting is a little rough. I dont like to carry more weight than i have to when on foot so the gun is a little light for a day of bench rest shooting.

One of my favorite lite deer rifles is my Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Win. You already know what you get with a Tikka, and all I can say is that you will get more of the same in a 270 WSM or a 7mm WSM.
I have a close friend who recently got a T3 in 270WSM, it is a lights out shooter (just like my 270).
In fact if you are having issues with flinching I would recommend a 270 Win.
I was going to recomend one of the big 30's to you, but you mentioned the flinching issue. A lot of the guys shooting the big 30's and 338's are using muzzle breaks for several reasons, one being the flinch issue, but the other is being able to spot your own shots, which is very important for LRH.
Bottom line, get another Tikka - you know 'em and you trust 'em.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.