Need help with a gun

Einsam Wölfe

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and was wondering if you thought a Blaser Tactical 2 would be able to do long range hunting?gun)Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to put a .308 barrel in there and shoot with that up to 1500 yards.

Thanks again for the help,

Einsam Wölfe

Last edited:
hello, it seems that Blaser is one heck of a rifle. BUT they come with one heck of a price tag too. This would be just short of a total waste of money in my humble opinion. You can have a custom build by a good smith, a Nightforce scope mounted on top, and have money left over to purchase reloading equipment with the money you would have spent on just the blaser.

Start with a good custom action, give Joel Russo a call for the stock, and I'm sure that there are a few good smiths in your neck of the woods to put 'er together for you.

However, If you are just getting into the sport, you may want to just start out with a good factory rifle to get some practice in and stretch you legs so to speak before you spend lots of money. You never know, you may find that you are more interested in a different caliber.

As for the 308... excellent target cartridge. It will last thousands of rounds provided you don't let it get too hot and there is lots of factory matchgrade ammo out there. However, It is a little weak for 1500 yard shooting. If you are punching paper you won't need much more, but if you are taking game you will have better luck with something a little bigger. What do you intend to do with the rifle? do you reload?

answer a couple questions and I'm sure you will get many many more opinion. :)

well I was intending on hunting deer, coyote, and boar with it and maybe some bigger animals out west if I ever get the chance. What kind of gun do you think I should get? I'm new to looong range hunting, but I have hunted at 500 yards before. I saw that the 30-06 was mentioned although that could be for somthing else. Thanks for your reply and I understand where your coming from with the price and I agree. Alright I think I'll quit rambling for now.

Thanks again,

Einsam Wölfe

Bobby~

Like britz said, the Blaser is a fine rifle, but a waste of precious money for your needs.

If you are just starting out in this sport, there are a few factory rifles that will fit the bill until you decide which avenue you want to persue. Britz recommended the .308, which is a great platform to learn on but will fall way short of your 1500 yard expectations.

I don't know where you are in PA, but if you are close to me, you are welcome to test drive my stuff before you spend a little money.

I started with a .308. It was a good trainer and I still prefer the caliber, but I have a 300WSM that is my long range gun. It will get me to the 1300 mark without any difficulty. My cousin is buildind a 338 Lapua. You may want to look at the 7mm Mags also.

Hey Bobby again,

Is a .338 better for 1500 yard hunting? I'm looking at a Sako TRG42, and although expensive, it looks like it can go the distance for what i'm looking for.

Any comments on this gun would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Einsam Wolfe

In all honesty, practice is what you need for 1500 yard hunting. There is a lot more to making a shot at game at that range than good equipment. The nice thing about starting out with a less powerful rifle is that you will be forced to learn to read the wind and to learn atmospheric affects on the bullet.

But as for your question, yest the 338 is a better bullet for 1500 yards. As far as accuracy goes, you need a cartridge that will keep a bullet supersonic past the range you intend to shoot at. it is true that some newer designs will maintain accuracy through the transonic zone, but not all. You can play around with a ballistic program for a while and see what you like.

everything is a trade off...nothing for free. More speed and power, less barrel life more recoil...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.