first built gun, need advice

fishunt

I am going to rebarrel a rifle to a 300rum, Here it is. How long? what twist? I will be shooting a 180 gr bullet. Muzzle break or not? What barrel. what conture. I am going to be shooting 200 to 600 yd. I have not settle on a 300rum. any other suggestion 8mmX30? let hear it. By the way I am a newbie. First post, my name is Jeff Rutledge.

Last edited:
fishunt,

at the very shortest you want a 26 inch barrel, 28 would be a good length if you do not want a longer one. I started with 180 gr bullets and now use 210 gr bullets in my 300 RUM. A 1-10 twist will be fine with the 180-210 gr bullets.

I put a DE brake on my 300 Rum and LOVE it!!

My 300 RUM is a factory gun with a 26" barrel, HS stock that has been bedded. I shot a 1.5 inch group with it at 300 yars on plate steel last fall.

When I rebarrel my 300 RUM i will get a brux, i have one on my 338 Edge and love it!!!!!!!! Brux guys are GREAT to work with and know what they are talking about.

Hope this helps

I am going to rebarrel a rifle to a 300rum, Here it is. How long? what twist? I will be shooting a 180 gr bullet. Muzzle break or not? What barrel. what conture. I am going to be shooting 200 to 600 yd. I have not settle on a 300rum. any other suggestion 8mmX30? let hear it. By the way I am a newbie. First post, my name is Jeff Rutledge.
28-30" plus brake, 1 in 10 twist, Muscle brake, may want to consider 200-210 bullets for a better BC. There are several barrels that would be good: Brux, Hart, Lilja, Broughton, Kreiger, etc. Ask your gunsmith what barrels they have the most time with and what they prefer. I have a Brux on a 338 Edge and it is great. 300 RUM is a great caliber, I have one and would not hesitate to build another but with that said you may want to consider the 338 RUM or Edge too. What are you going to be doing with the gun and at what ranges?

Last edited:
fishunt,

at the very shortest you want a 26 inch barrel, 28 would be a good length if you do not want a longer one. I started with 180 gr bullets and now use 210 gr bullets in my 300 RUM. A 1-10 twist will be fine with the 180-210 gr bullets.

I put a DE brake on my 300 Rum and LOVE it!!

My 300 RUM is a factory gun with a 26" barrel, HS stock that has been bedded. I shot a 1.5 inch group with it at 300 yars on plate steel last fall.

When I rebarrel my 300 RUM i will get a brux, i have one on my 338 Edge and love it!!!!!!!! Brux guys are GREAT to work with and know what they are talking about.

Hope this helps

I have a factory stainless Model 700 300 RUM like you mentioned and I went with the HS too. Mine is a good shooter too and is one of my favorite guns. Sure does put it on the whitetails.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.