Need reloading data for 6.5x61 S&H aka 6.5x61 Super

This is pretty dang cool but I just recieved my Grandpa's relaoding research and data for the rifle he gave me. Has about 15 different loads, all with velocities, pressure notes, group sizes. Talk about a cool gift! Gave me everything I needed to start doing my own loads for it. He had 4 loads with 1/2 MOA groups or less. Kind of crazy with this wood stocked hunting rifle built in the 70's on a Mauser action. All of his loads were with H4831 with Hornady 100gr or Sierra 129gr projectiles and I was wondering if I can sub IMR4831 or H4831sc in its place and start a grain or 2 low and work to his measurements.

This is pretty dang cool but I just recieved my Grandpa's relaoding research and data for the rifle he gave me. Has about 15 different loads, all with velocities, pressure notes, group sizes. Talk about a cool gift! Gave me everything I needed to start doing my own loads for it. He had 4 loads with 1/2 MOA groups or less. Kind of crazy with this wood stocked hunting rifle built in the 70's on a Mauser action. All of his loads were with H4831 with Hornady 100gr or Sierra 129gr projectiles and I was wondering if I can sub IMR4831 or H4831sc in its place and start a grain or 2 low and work to his measurements.

you can sub in 4831sc for regular 4831 with only a mild work-up, but I 4831 burns a good bit faster and you will run into pressure issues using that as a sub..

Why reinvent the wheel though? The load data is presented to you; shoot it and see how well the rifle does in your hands.

I don't have any H4831 and being around Christmas time can't make buying another powder my priority so just seeing if I can make it work with what i've got.

Hello! What a great, beautiful, useful present from your Grandfather. Four yars back I built a Super 7 x 61. Now I would like to build a 6.5 x 61 using the Norma Super brass.
If I might ask questions, how is this rifle shooting? Does it shoot as well as your Grandfather said it would? Have you tried IMR 7828 or Reloader 22 powder? Have you tried any of the 140 grain bullets? How about 160 grain bullets?
I hope all is going well with you and this rifle, better yet hope you have been able to hunt with it!
Thanks for your time!

Check Ken Waters "Pet Loads" user .256 Newton. The 6.5x61 is the Mauser version of the .256 Newton the finest 6.5 cartridge ever developed. Developed in 1913 by Charles Newton the cartridge itself is the most efficient 6.5 cartridge. Although Newton used a 1:10 twist for his original development I have found that a 1:9 or 1:8 twist with polygonal rifling handles a wide range of bullet weights. The 1:10 twist will only handle 125gr to 140gr hunting bullets like the Nosler Partitions and will not stabilize short or long bullets.

140gr Nosler Partitions
28gr Norma 204
Federal GM215M primer
Velocity: 3000fps average

125gr Nosler Partitions
49.2gr IMR 4350
Federal GM215M primer
Velocity: 3120 average

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts