Need some data on 375H&H and Reloader 16

backyardsniper

I am looking for some info on this. It doesn't list data for it on alliant's website but the burn rate seems to be right in the ballpark for the 375. Does anyone have any data. Let's say on something like the 260gr accubond?

I use 74.0 gr Reloder 17, RWS cases, Fed 215 GM primers behind 299 gr Shock Hammers, mv 2670. Reloder 17 is denser than RL 16 which means more powder will fit in the same space in the case. Useful for longer monometal bullets. JM

Sierra Manual shows Reloader 15 for a 250 gr bullet. Powder load from 65.5grs to 72.2grs. Using a federal 215 primer. They also show a powder load of H4831 from 77grs to 81grs. Same primer 215. Velocity from 2500 FPS to 2850 with RE-15, and 2500 fps to 2700 pfs.

RL15 has always been my goto for the 375H&H from 235's to 350's. If RL16 is similar in burn rate you could start with that data and work up. The old 375 has always been one of the cartridges that is very easy to work up accurate loads for.

That's what I was hoping to do. It sounds like it's a viable powder for the 375 and I've seen bits and pieces about it being very good in the 375 but I just haven't gotten any concrete data where I can start at with it

I think that RL 16 is less dense than RL 15 while RL 17 is denser than both. It is manufactured in Switzerland not in Sweden and has a different type deterrent coating that penetrates thru the powder kernel making for a more prolonged pressure pulse unlike other deterrent coatings that are just on the kernel surface that burn off and allow the combustion rate to speed up. FWIW. JM

!like everything we do in reloading it will depend on the case volume, length of the projectile, freebore if any and all the other variables that come into play. Especially with monometal bullets that are longer than cup and core lead bullets, I like to use RL 17 in the 375 H&H case (which doesn't have as much volume as it appears to have). JM

Last edited:
I am looking for some info on this. It doesn't list data for it on alliant's website but the burn rate seems to be right in the ballpark for the 375. Does anyone have any data. Let's say on something like the 260gr accubond?
FWIW: Nosler No. 8 manual shows RL 15 starting load of 69.0 and max of 73.0 with load densities of 86 and 91, respectively. They show RL 19 starting at 76.0 and max of 80.0 with densities of 99 and 104, respectively. I havent tried RL 17, but am interested in seeing what others have to offer on that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.