Need load for 7 stw with 168 berger.

Ok i shot 3 groups with 7828. Best was 11/8 group. My normal groups with 120 ballistic tips are 3\8 inch. Would it b worth trying H1000? I have a feeling my gen likes the lighter bullets. 130 matchkings also shot great.

Berger manual says 69.0 to 72.8.

Seems kind of low to me on the top-end, considering I push 180's with over 71gr of 7828 SSC...

I'd start at 70 and see how high you can work up before you start getting pressur signs (flattened primers and sticky bolt, etc...).

My STW doesn't like H1000. It shoots great sometimes, then other times those same loads will shoot like crap. It's weird. Which is why I quit using H1000.

Do NOT seat it into the rifling. It will overpressure the STW and can result in a catestropihic failure. Make sure it is not touching the lands. The STW is a high performance round, so pressures are naturally high. I can't stress this enough. I've had some close-calls myself.

Thanks for the warning. How much off lands would u recommend?

I wish I could tell you, but nobody has had a Hornady STW modified case gauge in stock in over a year & half.... So I don't know specifics. But I know it's close, but not touching. If anyone has a spare Hornady STW modified case gauge, I'd be interested in purchasjng it. I made my own dummy round years ago, to find out where the lands are, but I don't think it's that accurate as if I had measured it wih the Hornady tool.

I don't like to go over mag length with my rifles. It gives them a bit of run to the rifling then. The stw should be throated to around 3.8" with a mag length of somewhere around 3.6" so you will have a bit of jump. I think I'm jumping .015" at present.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.