Need Help !!

Savage13

I picked up a 111 BG (blued barrel 22" grey laminate stock 1-10 twist) in .257 Roberts a lil while ago. I put a Leupold VARI X 2 3-9x40 atop it and went to the range with some Hornady Custom 117gr Inter-bonds after getting it sighted in @ 25 yards to make sure I'm on paper I moved out to 100 yrds and was shooting about a 6-8" group (upper left hand quadrant of the target.) I assumed it was a problem with the scope as I am a decent shot with both my other savages. So I picked up a Cabela's Alpha Series scope 3-12x40. Went out today with the same ammo similar conditions and made SURE multiple times that EVERYTHING was tight (bases rings action screws sling studs) was shooting (both times) prone with bi-pod and rear bag. Again after the 25 yrd paper check I moved out to 100 yards and again was shooting a 6-8" group that was hitting in the upper left hand quadrant of the target. Needless to say I am just a bit frustrated. I was wondering if anyone here could possibly shed some light on my predicament.

A big thank you in advanced to each and everyone of you that helps out.

Slug the barrel, I bet you got a 26 cal barrel on your 25. My Dad had that happen on a savage 243 once-- it got a 25 cal barrel and would only shoot really soft pills like the 70 tnt to sub barn door groups. If there's little or no difference in diameter between the neck and throat it would be somewhat obvious that a looser barrel diameter is the problem.

You're very likely too low on the twist rate... those bullets do stabilize at higher velocities (like from the 25-06) in 10 twists... but I think you'll either have to speed them up a bunch or drop to a lighter bullet.

Dan

You're very likely too low on the twist rate... those bullets do stabilize at higher velocities (like from the 25-06) in 10 twists... but I think you'll either have to speed them up a bunch or drop to a lighter bullet.

Dan
I shoot a 120 bt out of a 25 wssm with a 10" twist at 2900 fps and it is a 1/4" load at 100 yards; I doubt a hundred fps slower would make it go shotgun. I'd try a 87 and a 100 to see if it is better, though.

Lefty, I agree... just thinking he may be running them slow... there might be room to speed them up, even from the Roberts...

your problem may be the scope mounts, not the scope since you changed scopes and came up with the same results. If you have another 111 or a good freind with a 111 try switching both bases and mounts over. If your your group goes down great.
My 111 does 3/4" to 1&1/2" depending on myself on any given day :D.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.