Need Help!

WDH

Let me first say hello!

I am having an issue with my groups opening up at 500yds. My gun is a custom 6.5x284. Kriger 27" barrel, Deviant action, McMillan stock and Nightforce glass. I used OCW test for load development and have a load that shoots in the .1s and .2s consistently (48gr H-4350 @2927fps berger 140 VLD set .030 off). At 500yds it blows up to 3.5+" All my other guns that produce good groups at 100 or 200yds continue to hold the same MOA out to 1000yds. Suggestions?

What is the twist?
Is it uniform or just vertical stringing at distance. If it is vertical, extreme spread in velocity can be the cause.

It is a 1-8 twist and the stringing is more uniform than vertical. The ES is around 12

It is a 1-8 twist and the stringing is more uniform than vertical. The ES is around 12
WDH,
"Stringing is more uniform than vertical". So is more horizontal or ? Pictures will help. At 3.5" at 500 yards you are still below 1 MOA in group size and with a ES of 12 your SD ( which is more important as it is an indicator of vertical dispersion should be less than that. Is this a one time thing or what? We all have our good days and bad days at the range.

I have had better accuracy with 8.5 twist and 140 VLDs, but I doubt that is your problem. More likely, it's something small like a seating depth issue or a variance in velocity. I use H-4831 and SD runs <5 fps. As rifles differ, it seems that as range increases, tweaking the small things makes a big difference. An unseen wind can open a group that much on a 140 or a slight neck tension difference. Hope you figure it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.