Need help with 7mmSTW

Bill,

I got the rifle to shoot well today. I replaced the scope, first two rounds same hole. Third shot was 2.5 inches left. I let the gun set for a few minutes and bullet returned to original group.

This rifle is not going to make a target gun unless you enjoy shooting 5 rounds/hour to keep the barrel cool. It would make a fine hunting rifle.

I cant believe it made that much of difference. I was waiting a couple of minutes between rounds when trying to sight in but the rifle did not like it at all.

Thanks for your advise.

Evan

Glad that everything is working better for you. For either of my STW's I wait about 1 minute between shots. I even do that with my '06 due to it being a stainless Featherweight.

Feel the barrel after each shot. Take note of how it feels. If it feels warm, give it some time.

If you have to wait a long time, it sounds like something else still might be loose or the gun needs pillars and bedded. The barrel might want some support at the very end of the stock too, some Winchesters like that.

Bill

I have an M70 in an STW that I sent back to Hart for a rebarrel in a Sendero contour. It'll be awhile before I get it back. Interested to see what comes of the adjustments youmake on your gun.

I would think it's something simple, but difficult to figure out.

Glad that everything is working better for you. For either of my STW's I wait about 1 minute between shots. I even do that with my '06 due to it being a stainless Featherweight.

Feel the barrel after each shot. Take note of how it feels. If it feels warm, give it some time.

If you have to wait a long time, it sounds like something else still might be loose or the gun needs pillars and bedded. The barrel might want some support at the very end of the stock too, some Winchesters like that.

Bill

A Saturday morning with some time and work would give you a stock that perfectly fits your gun. I looked at the bedding on my gun (same one you have) before I sent it off. It was pathetic, thin and chipping apart. If you purchased a pillar bedding kit it could set you back $60. A regular glass bedding job would be $25 or less by purchasing the kit from your local gun shop. You can do the action front to back, recoil lug and rear and be ahead of the game.

I also invested in a Timney trigger for mine. It feels pretty darn good.

Wood stock - 45 in/lbs.
Synthatic stock with an aluminum bedding block or pillars - 65 in/lbs.

Also, glass bedding your action and recoil lug to the stock, and free-floatin your barrel will probably help significantly. Bedding your action and lug will take out all the slack cut into your stock at the factory because those stocks have to be made generically to fit every rifle of that model, so the tolerances are very broad. When you bed YOUR action to YOUR stock, it's like getting a custom pair of molded orthotics for your feet....Everything fits nice and snug and where it should be, and allows it to stay planted in place without allowing any wiggle room to create error.
Well that's coming along nicely.

Time to take the next step, install pillars and bed it.

I've had very good luck beddign the first 3" in front of the lug and making sure the rest is free floated with all of my Winchesters.

Pillars and a good bedding job will help virtually any rifle's accuracy so it's time and money well spent.

Well that's coming along nicely.

Time to take the next step, install pillars and bed it.

I've had very good luck beddign the first 3" in front of the lug and making sure the rest is free floated with all of my Winchesters.

Pillars and a good bedding job will help virtually any rifle's accuracy so it's time and money well spent.

I've thought about pillars in the .25-06 AI, since it is my only wood stocked rifle...But haven't gotten around to it yet.

My 300 win mag super grade's accuracy is equal to my sendero. all i did was mount leup 6.5-20. pretty rifle.

I know that you have said that your gun is shooting better, I just have a question.

For the bedding material around the recoil lug, was it a blackish or a whitish/clear material?

At one point Winchester was using a "hot glue" material, and it was not that good and would crack and break. This could be causing your flyer that you have.

Hope all is well with you and the STW.

Bill

I know that you have said that your gun is shooting better, I just have a question.

For the bedding material around the recoil lug, was it a blackish or a whitish/clear material?

At one point Winchester was using a "hot glue" material, and it was not that good and would crack and break. This could be causing your flyer that you have.

Hope all is well with you and the STW.

Bill
What they are using now, at least as of 2 years ago when I got my All Weather 300wm is a nearly clear amberish resin. It doesn't dry and crack like the white hot glue looking crap they used back in the 70's.

My Laredo Sharpshooter 7mm stw has the white stuff in it, and its all cracked up. My FN 30-06 has some black material in it, and its from '11 or '12.

I am going to redo both of them, as the FN one is not done good.

The Laredo has chipped in a few spots. What is bad, this gun shoots great but I would like a more stable platform for it.

My Laredo Sharpshooter 7mm stw has the white stuff in it, and its all cracked up. My FN 30-06 has some black material in it, and its from '11 or '12.

I am going to redo both of them, as the FN one is not done good.

The Laredo has chipped in a few spots. What is bad, this gun shoots great but I would like a more stable platform for it.
As long as it's shooting right I wouldn't touch it even if it does look ugly. The old "you can't fix what ain't broken" rule still applies.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.