Need help selecting a good quality scope for the money

BearKing

Hello everyone, i just recently got a weatherby vanguard s2 in 300 wm and i just need to find a scope that will be able to with stand the recoil impulse of the 300 wm withought losing its hold on zero and had good durability. Sadly i know this is hard to achieve since my price range is 300 or below, i'm wanting to use eventually use this rifle to hunting but for right now it will be a range shooter and would like to touch out with it at decent ranges maybe 800 meters. Just for fun. Any suggestions for a scope would be great. Thank you,

Hello everyone, i just recently got a weatherby vanguard s2 in 300 wm and i just need to find a scope that will be able to with stand the recoil impulse of the 300 wm withought losing its hold on zero and had good durability. Sadly i know this is hard to achieve since my price range is 300 or below, i'm wanting to use eventually use this rifle to hunting but for right now it will be a range shooter and would like to touch out with it at decent ranges maybe 800 meters. Just for fun. Any suggestions for a scope would be great. Thank you,

If low light performance is not an issue I would recommend a Tasco World Class 4-16X. When I went to Alaska the first time both the .375 and the .300 Weatherby carried them. My longest kill was with a Tasco 6-24X. The target was the rear end of a rock chuck 527 yards away. The 75 A-Max exited the chest. Maybe the new ones are better in low light.

Cabelas has the Vortex HS 2.3-10x44 on sale for 309.00. These are pretty nice scopes. The 300mm tube gives you lots of adjustment range and 10x is plenty for 800 yards.
Vortex® Viper® HS 30mm Riflescopes : Cabela's
Looks like it is free shipping for orders over $99.00 too...

For the money this is an all around good scope.

So are these:
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-2-10x50-super-slam-riflescope-dual-x-reticle-matte.html
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-riflescope-2-10x50mm-ebx-reticle-matte.html
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-riflescope-2-10x42mm-bdc-reticle-matte.html
I have one and it is one of my favorite hunting scopes, currently mounted on a .338 Ultra mag. It has pretty darn good glass and the turrets track true.

For the money this is an all around good scope.

So are these:
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-2-10x50-super-slam-riflescope-dual-x-reticle-matte.html
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-riflescope-2-10x50mm-ebx-reticle-matte.html
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-riflescope-2-10x42mm-bdc-reticle-matte.html
I have one and it is one of my favorite hunting scopes, currently mounted on a .338 Ultra mag. It has pretty darn good glass and the turrets track true.

Talk about tracking....my son-in law has a Tasco Ranging and Trajectory model I gave him when I bought a range finder. He put it on a Savage 7mm Mag and used to take it to the range and dial in the clicks to the 600 yard empty two pound propane can and hit it. He would then dial it back to 100 yards and put one right in the center of the "X" and ask anyone if they wanted to have a shooting contest.

This brings me to a fun memory::) The first elk I killed I ranged with that scope at 400 yards when it was on my Short Fat Seven before short fat cartridges were all the rage. I dialed and took the arteries right off the top of the heart with a 160 Partition.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Check out >>> Primary Arms New 4-14X44 FFP Scope with Patented ACSS R-Grid Reticle

I have a Nikon ProStaff 5 3.5-14x on my Ruger No.1 7mm STW. So far this has been a nice scope for the money. The glass is clear, close to the Monarch lineup, has nice eye relief, side focus, and a good usable range for magnification. The price should be right around 300 too.

Bill

Do any of you suggest that the vortex copperhead 4-12 scope would be a nice one? When i compared the viper to the copper head they seem to be the same scope just one is not illumintaed.

When you compared these two scopes did you just quickly look at the pictures or did you do any other comparison? I ask because these two aren't anywhere near the same, with a huge upgrade in features going to the Viper HS. Two minutes of Google and reading got me this (assuming you were looking at the 2.5-10x44 previously mentioned on sale for $300):
The viper has extra low dispersion glass (in other words better)
Armor Tex scratch resistant glass coating (not on copperhead)
30 mm tube (copperhead is 1")
86 moa of adjustment (copperhead has 60)
4x magnification zoom (copperhead has 3x)
Turrets resettable w/out tools (copperhead requires tool)
Precision force spring system (upgrade over copperhead)
Precision glide erector system (again-upgrade)
Fiber optic to see where power setting is (not on copperhead)
Fast focus eyepiece (not on copperhead)
Comes with 4" sunshade (not with copperhead)

This is per Vortex's website and as you can see you are getting a lot more scope for $100 more! These two scopes are in two different leagues.

I've read a lot of good things about the Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44. Cameraland has them for $349. I haven't tried one yet, but likely will soon.

I have this scope on a 30-06 and it holds zero and repeats spot on.
I also have two of the BSA MiL MiL FFP made exclusively for Midway and they look like the came from the same factory as the Primary Arms scope. I have one of the BSAs on a braked 300 Weatherby with no issues at all with holding zero and repeatability. The other one is on a 6.5 Creedmore and performs the same. The Primary arms and BSA scope are truly a gem for the 250ish dollars they are sold for. I contacted BSA thru email, mainly because of concern with the 300 Weatherby killing the scope, and they claim the scope is 50 cal. rated and if I have any problems what so ever, just send a t in and they will replace it, no questions asked lifetime warranty.

I forgot to mention two other of my favorite budget scopes.
SWFA SS 10x42
And Bushnell Elite tactical 10x40.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.