What are my options? Need help selecting scope for first build

hooah09

Hello all! I am in the process of building my first bolt action precision rifle. This will primarily be utilized on the range, but I hope to take it deer hunting maybe once a year as well. But 98% of its use will be punching paper! I have decided on the Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical as the base rifle; .308 with a 20 inch barrel. Max range I ever anticipate shooting is 800 meters; 500 and under will be most common.

What I need help with is scope selection. I have a fairly good idea of the features that I want, but I am having a very hard time finding a consolidated list/database of all the different options that meet my requirements!

Okay, here it goes, these are the minimum requirement of what I am looking for:

-Objective size: 50mm or smaller
-Tube diameter: 30mm
-Variable magnification
-Max magnification: no less than 12x, no more than 18x
-Front focal plane
-Mil/Mil reticle/turrets
-Max Price: $1500

I hope that you can share with me any positive or negative experiences you have had with any options in this range.

Gents, I hope that I am able to get some good responses, and not just "use the search function" replies. I have tried, believe me, but have been unable to find a solitary resource that provides me with what I need. I hope all of you are able to!

Thank you!

Ditto on vortex. For your budget and parameters, going to be hard to beat. I have a couple of them, great scopes. Good luck!

weaver tactical 3-15, Bushnell tactical 3-12, or deal with a 34mm tube and extra zoom and get their 3.5-21. Burris has a 3-15 in their new xtrII line I believe.

all of those will meet your 50mm or less bell requirement.

Hello all! I am in the process of building my first bolt action precision rifle. This will primarily be utilized on the range, but I hope to take it deer hunting maybe once a year as well. But 98% of its use will be punching paper! I have decided on the Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical as the base rifle; .308 with a 20 inch barrel. Max range I ever anticipate shooting is 800 meters; 500 and under will be most common.

What I need help with is scope selection. I have a fairly good idea of the features that I want, but I am having a very hard time finding a consolidated list/database of all the different options that meet my requirements!

Okay, here it goes, these are the minimum requirement of what I am looking for:

-Objective size: 50mm or smaller
-Tube diameter: 30mm
-Variable magnification
-Max magnification: no less than 12x, no more than 18x
-Front focal plane
-Mil/Mil reticle/turrets
-Max Price: $1500

I hope that you can share with me any positive or negative experiences you have had with any options in this range.

Gents, I hope that I am able to get some good responses, and not just "use the search function" replies. I have tried, believe me, but have been unable to find a solitary resource that provides me with what I need. I hope all of you are able to!

Thank you!

The Bushnell LRHS is about the most scope for the $ you are going to find. Great, useful features, reliable accurate tracking, superb glass and rugged construction. At current street prices it is truly one of the best bargains available.

Bushnell Elite 4200 Riflescopes, Tactical, Illuminated Reticle, Hunting Scope

John

Here is a scope that is a good fit for your stated requirements:

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope

They also make some excellent fixed power models that are rugged and inexpensive. For range use, the fixed power models wouldn't put you at a disadvantage. I have an older MOA/MIL 10x42 that I have used to shoot F-T/R to 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.