need help choosing a new stock

jstuck624

beginner needs some help choosing a new stock. i would like to upgrade the standard hogue overmolded stock that came on my rem 700 sps tactical 308. ive been looking at the bell and carlson tactical medalist a5 fully adjustable stock or perhaps the tactical medalist style 2. my question is what would i need to do to make this stock work with my rifle. just order the stock and drop it in? does it come with an aluminum bedding block? or would i need to get one. i heard that my sps comes standard with a plastic bedding? and what would i need to do to make my rifle accept a magazine? sorry for the all questions im new to the long range shooting. but am hoping to learn as much as possible.

all info is greatly appreciated

The Medalist series stocks DO come with an aluminum bedding block. It is designed as a drop in stock as long as you do your homework and order the correct stock for your action. As far as the magazine....I don't know. I do know that if there isn't a cut-out and you are having to make a hole, which I wouldn't advise, you will be making it through the aluminum as well.

As far as bedding....It usually helps, especially if the fit is not perfect. It would be quite easy to just bed the recoil lug vs. bedding the entire action.

It's my personal opinion that the B&C stocks are a quality product and I have had good luck with them.

The Medalist series stocks DO come with an aluminum bedding block. It is designed as a drop in stock as long as you do your homework and order the correct stock for your action. As far as the magazine....I don't know. I do know that if there isn't a cut-out and you are having to make a hole, which I wouldn't advise, you will be making it through the aluminum as well.

As far as bedding....It usually helps, especially if the fit is not perfect. It would be quite easy to just bed the recoil lug vs. bedding the entire action.

It's my personal opinion that the B&C stocks are a quality product and I have had good luck with them.

Bed the recoil lug vs the action? What does that mean? And thanks for the help. Any pointers on where I could go to find out about the mag? Guess I could just ask stockys wen I order it

Bed the recoil lug vs the action? What does that mean? And thanks for the help. Any pointers on where I could go to find out about the mag? Guess I could just ask stockys wen I order it

If you look at the bottom side of your barrel right where it screws into the action you will see the recoil lug, that fits down into your stock. Lug is a weird name for it....It's just a square piece or "lug"of steel that stops the action from riding back in the stock upon recoil. With a good release agent you can start by bedding this section without having to use clay and all the other things necessary things to bed the entire action.

You probably can't go wrong bedding the entire action, but you need to watch some instructional videos, have plenty of patience, or just have someone do it for you.

If it were me, I would shoot the rifle, then drop in in the stock and see how it shoots comparably. I don't think EVERY rifle benefits from a bedding job. You will also get some idea how the action fits in the stock....loose, tight, side to side movement, rolling action.

I replaced about 3 stocks, bedding and all on some of my lesser rifles, just to beat the learning curve before I tackled my long range rig. If you have the money it helps to tinker. You learn a lot and you figure out what not to do.:D there are lots of instructional videos and reads about bedding jobs, etc.

beginner needs some help choosing a new stock. i would like to upgrade the standard hogue overmolded stock that came on my rem 700 sps tactical 308. ive been looking at the bell and carlson tactical medalist a5 fully adjustable stock or perhaps the tactical medalist style 2. my question is what would i need to do to make this stock work with my rifle. just order the stock and drop it in? does it come with an aluminum bedding block? or would i need to get one. i heard that my sps comes standard with a plastic bedding? and what would i need to do to make my rifle accept a magazine? sorry for the all questions im new to the long range shooting. but am hoping to learn as much as possible.

all info is greatly appreciated

Take the rifle down and look at its bedding job. I bet they just bedded the recoil lug.

the B&C medalist stocks come with the aluminum bedding block and chassis and will just bolt in with no fitting using your excisting hardware screws floorplate follower etc. as for bottom medal with a detachable mag that is seperate. it also should just bolt on with little or no fitting but expect to pay another 250$ plus for a good one Wyatts, or accuracy international If your gonna go threw the trouble of changing the stock you could glass bed your new B&C and make it perfect. I used the score high pro bed 2000 kit on my Medalist stock and watched a few videos on you tube to learn how. It was pretty easy and made a huge improvment...... I went with the style 2 and its great I dont really care for the contoured palm swell of the a5 stiyle but it does have all those ajustable features. anyway good luck
progress.gif

the B&C medalist stocks come with the aluminum bedding block and chassis and will just bolt in with no fitting using your excisting hardware screws floorplate follower etc. as for bottom medal with a detachable mag that is seperate. it also should just bolt on with little or no fitting but expect to pay another 250$ plus for a good one Wyatts, or accuracy international If your gonna go threw the trouble of changing the stock you could glass bed your new B&C and make it perfect. I used the score high pro bed 2000 kit on my Medalist stock and watched a few videos on you tube to learn how. It was pretty easy and made a huge improvment...... I went with the style 2 and its great I dont really care for the contoured palm swell of the a5 stiyle but it does have all those ajustable features. anyway good luck
progress.gif

Does the b&c stock free float the barrel? Id like to do that as well

depending on your barral contour Im pretty sure it will they advertise it to be "free floating out of the box" but if not nothing a little sand paper cant fix. I had to sand the crap out of mine due to My barrel being a brux #17 heavy varmit contour. Even with that said it only took about 20 minutes (not counting the epoxy bed) to fit and Im no gunsmith just a DIY type. A friend of mine has the B&C a5 style on a sendero style barrel and he did not have to do any thing to his stock just bolt it up.