Need build help!

BoomFlop

Do I am looking to build my first custom rifle. I Will be running a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2 30 cal.

I am looking at a 7 SAUM or a 7 Sherman Short. The 7 SAUM I believe should be in a XM or Long action, which kind of seems like a waste? The Sherman Short would fit great in a short action, comes with much higher initial costs and I can't find much for performance gains/cost benefits.

I'm leaning towards a 22" barrel to keep it long enough to get maintain performance and yet short enough to not be too overly long.

Please tell me about your 7 SAUM or 7 SS!

Thanks
Steve

Curious why you think a long action is a waste? I've never understood the concern over a half inch of length and maybe 2oz of weight. The trend has been towards longer bullets and faster twists for years now, short actions don't seem to have a real point as they only limit cartridge length for a very minor savings in weight. The 0.2 seconds of purported time savings while running the bolt is realistically meaningless since most people can't get back in the scope fast enough to benefit from time savings that small anyways.

I wouldn't waste my money on a high end short action with a bolt face larger than .384, all it offers is limitations with modern high BC bullets. I recently ordered a long action with two bolts (.473 and .540) planning for a future barrel change.

@QuietTexan I mostly just don't want it too look funny sticking a 3.1" cartridge in a 3.8" action. Guess I'm OCD. The long action would definitely make things much easier for sure. I have thought about the 7SS, however, the added cost to me is a little much to pull the trigger on just yet.

IMO SAUMs are a long action cartridge to get the most out of them. To me the primary benefit to the short/fat mini-mags are efficiency of the powder burn compared to the more inefficient ultra-mags. The action length is secondary in that you might or might not be length limited in a short action - in a long it doesn't matter either way, you can get peak efficiency and accuracy from the case.

Do I am looking to build my first custom rifle. I Will be running a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2 30 cal.

I am looking at a 7 SAUM or a 7 Sherman Short. The 7 SAUM I believe should be in a XM or Long action, which kind of seems like a waste? The Sherman Short would fit great in a short action, comes with much higher initial costs and I can't find much for performance gains/cost benefits.

I'm leaning towards a 22" barrel to keep it long enough to get maintain performance and yet short enough to not be too overly long.

Please tell me about your 7 SAUM or 7 SS!

Thanks
Steve
I have had both for some time. For some reason I have 4 - 7 saums on AntiX long actions 26", 24" and a 2 - 22" as of today. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

What kind of speed do you see between the barrel lengths. With a 7" suppressor, I want to get the most performance possible, yet stay some what short overall. Was thinking 22" would be a good comprise....thoughts?