need barrel advice????

mo

I'm getting a new barrel made for my T/C Encore chambered in .35 whelen AI. What do some of you think would be the most optimum barrel length for this cartridge??? I'm willing to go up to 28 inches, but my common sense tells me the gain over a 24 inch would be very minimal. Am I right about that? Also I want to shoot a nosler 225 accubond or a 225 sierra game king. What would be the best twist to get. Thanks very much for your help....

Last edited:
I just checked out several factory rifles chambered in that caliber, and nearly all had a 22" barrel. One was 18 1/2", and even an ackley improved was only 24". As far as twist it looks like 1 in 12 is the best option, but I would check out some barrel manufacturers sights for more info. Lilja probably has some info. in the FAQ section of their sight.

I have a M700 Classic in 35 Whelen, 22" 1:16 twist. I get excellent accuracy with the 225 gr Sierra, Nosler PT, BT and AB bullets.

I would think a 24" 1:12 twist would be just about perfect for the heavier bullets.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.