Custom Barrel, Need Advice

bebberson

I need advice on a custom barrel. I will probably use a rem 700 action, and want to chamber the barrel in a 7mm Rem. Mag. I want this rifle set up to hunt paper targets to elk, I was thinking 150gr Remington Accutip Bullets. I don't reload yet.

What I'm askin you guys is:

Brand of Barrel
Length
Twist Rate
Contour
Flutes
Or anything else

Last edited:
I would go with the following;

1. Bartlein
2. 28"
3. 1-9 twist
4. As far as contour it depends on what your going to do with it?
5. I like flutes, so yes on the flutes

I would highly recommend Bartlein barrels. I hope this helps.

Your asking a pretty personal question. Depends on what you're going to do with it.

There are many great barrel makers. Lilja, Broughton, Brux, Kreiger, ... and on and on.

Length, contour, flutes depend on what you are willing to carry.

Twist depends on what bullets you want to shoot. Long heavy bullets need a faster twist than short light bullets.

I'd suggest reading many of the hunting posts on here. Pay particular attention to the ones that have a similar hunting style and conditions you are likely to encounter. See what type of rifles they are using. See if there is a trend that will help you decide what you need.

A custom rifle costs a lot of money. It would be a shame to not get what you want/need.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.