Need some advice on new barrel

MHO

I have a Sako 75 300 WSM that I have sent off to have a new barrel put on it. I have been shooting 180 gr NBT. I have very little knowledge on twist / length etc. What twist and manufacturer of barrel do you guys recommend and have experience with? Krieger, Douglas etc. Appreciate any feedback.

10 twist is probably ideal (180's,190's,210's) lots of great barrels-Broughton, Brux, Chanlynn, Benchmark, Hart, Lilja, the ones you mentioned and many more. Ask your smith what he likes and stands behind.

I think a 1:10 inch twist is way too fast for 180's out of a .300 WSM. Back when 30 caliber magnums were "the only way to go" for long range competition, 1:12 twist barrels were the best for 190 and 200 grain bullets. Spinning bullets too fast is one sure way to get fliers way out of your group when a bullet's unbalance is above average. 1:10 twists are for 220-gr. bullets from that cartridge.

I had a worn out Palma rifle barrel's back end cut off to make it 27 inches long then rechambered for .300 Win. Mag. It's 1:13 inch twist shot Sierra 180-gr. HPMK's into 2/3 MOA at 1000 yards with ease. Those bullets spun about 171,000 rpm leaving the barrel; just about perfect for that bullet.

If you'll only shoot 180's, a 1:13 (or maybe a 1:12, for milder loads) twist's hard to beat from a .300 WSM.

I think a 1:10 inch twist is way too fast for 180's out of a .300 WSM. Back when 30 caliber magnums were "the only way to go" for long range competition, 1:12 twist barrels were the best for 190 and 200 grain bullets. Spinning bullets too fast is one sure way to get fliers way out of your group when a bullet's unbalance is above average. 1:10 twists are for 220-gr. bullets from that cartridge.

I had a worn out Palma rifle barrel's back end cut off to make it 27 inches long then rechambered for .300 Win. Mag. It's 1:13 inch twist shot Sierra 180-gr. HPMK's into 2/3 MOA at 1000 yards with ease. Those bullets spun about 171,000 rpm leaving the barrel; just about perfect for that bullet.

If you'll only shoot 180's, a 1:13 (or maybe a 1:12, for milder loads) twist's hard to beat from a .300 WSM.

Agree with Bart! A 10 twist is commonly used because it will cover the wide range of .308 bullets up to 240 grains but is far more than needed for a 180 grain. As he said, overtwisting can only hurt, not help........Rich

Elkaholic, Bart B,
Thank you guys. Like I said before, this is out of my league and I greatly appreciate your input.

Elkaholic, Bart B,
Thank you guys. Like I said before, this is out of my league and I greatly appreciate your input.

By the way, I have both Lilja and Bartlein barrels and would recommend either. There are plenty of other good manufacturers as well.......Rich

Get the minimal twist rate for the bullet you intend to shoot. That will always be your best accuracy. With all the new vld bullet designs sometimes a guy gets just a touch over the edge but just enough to stabilize is key to perfect long range accuracy. A 1-12 will stabilize the 180 grain nosler BT if that is the bullet you want to use. I shot 190 grain bergers out of a 1-12 twist last week with excellent long range accuracy.

I have friends who use Broghton and Bartlein and love them..Now the guys have gave you some top of the buisness names you need a gunsmith that is on top of the job. you need one of the best.

Elkaholic, Bart B,

You mention in an earlier post about sending the rifle out to Sulli is that Dave Sullivan? Reason I ask is that Dave uses Mark Channlyn barrels and I'm sure he uses others also.

For my last 300WSM gunsmith put on a Kreiger 5r 1/11.25 twist and the first one I had use a Broughton 5c 1/12 twist. I've had good luck with both barrels shooting 165gr and 180gr bullets both rifles used for deer/elk combination tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.