Need alternate powder

Greywolf18

Due to the increasingly impossible task of trying to find Varget, I am looking around for a possible alternate powder to use. I know almost all powder is impossible to find right now, but it seems like the popularity of varget is making it even worse. I want to try to keep 1 powder that I can shoot my .223 (75gr Hornady BTHP), and my .308 (165-168gr bullets). Varget was the ideal one until the current reloading crisis started. Thanks for the input!

You can still get varget..... Only $680 for an 8lbs keg on gunbroker right now..........
8 Pound Keg of Hodgdon Varget Powder *FRESH* : Supplies at GunBroker.com

plus... don't forget the shipping

he he he

I just ordered 8 lbs of 4895 from midsouth for the 22-250 and 308. I think they have some more in stock.

4895 is not perfect for both, but I'm happy to get it. I'd rather be shooting this then nothing at all.

..now just need to find primers

good luck

Oh gee, is that all??? Guess I better start playing the lotto lol

I'd rather go back to factory ammo than pay that much!

Go figure, I started getting reloading stuff in Dec to counter the rising cost of ammo, and now I can't afford either :p

RL15 can work in both. I am not sure about using it with the 75s in the 223 as I was using it with 90s. I am thinking V V 550 will also work.

RE15 is virtually the equivalent of Varget, and works very well in both cases you mention.
As boomtube said, IMR4064 is another virtually equivalent powder.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.gun)

Thanks for the input! Only powder I could find was some RE15 so ordered a 5lb (wanted a 1lb to try, but that's all I could get) today! I'm really hoping that it works as well as my Varget did!

IMR4007ssc - Ramshot TAC - IMR3031 - Viht 140 or 135 but I don't think any of these powders will be as insensitive to hot/cold temperatures as the Varget. You would have to re-workup in cooler temps later in the year to be sure. I think the IMR3031 would give you the best results.

WRG

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts