Alternate powders for the 4831s

Chuck Boyer

The powder that comes to mind is Accurate 3100. Burning rate charts put it halfway between IMR and H-4831. Has anyone tried it in the same application as 4831? Any accuracy loads say for the short mags or 243 Win or 270? 3100 is a couple dollars a pound cheaper than other brands of powders. I am interested in trying it. Any input from you all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have used it in the past in a 243 and 7mm Mag. It is very accurate with the right load. I use a good deal of AA powders. They make a good product. I think that of the 4350's theirs is the most accurate, at least it has been for me. I just got a 264 Win Mag that has a 27 3/4 inch Douglas barrel that I am going to try AA 4350 and AA3100 in and I may break down and get some AA8700 to try.

Ditto what RT2506 said.

I've used AA powders for 15+ years now because they were the cheapest and always found them to be accurate in about any of my rifles I cared to use it in.

RT2506 - If you find AA8700 to be an accuarte powder in your new 264 Win Mag, I'd suggest you buy as much as you can find as Western Powders (now owns AA) has discontinued it according to AA's web site. Too bad, as I found 8700 to be a great powder in many of my overbore cartridges and it did well in my 25-06 though velocities were a bit lower than standard loads but accuracy was excellent.

Don't overlook Norma URP, HV100 or IMR 4007ssc. I have had great luck with all of these in various calibers when 4350/4831 standbys did not cut it accuracy-wise. As an added bonus, I usually picked up some velocity with the better groups. I would look into the HV100 esp.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.