Need advice on scope purchase for light weight predator rig

dimecovers3

I need a scope for a Remington LVSF in .17 Remington. Will be using Berger 25 and 30 grain match bullets. This gun will be used for predator calling (coyote, fox and bobcat) and some occasional summer groundhog shooting. Shots will be mostly 20 yards to 100 yards when predator hunting and may approach 300 yards max for groundhogs.

I need a low enough power to handle low light and very close shots on called in predators. I'm in N.C. and except for a powerline or cutover, I will be mostly in the woods. Shots have often been in my lap in the past. On the other hand I would like to be able to stretch out when needed on predators and groundhogs too.

These are the two scopes I'm looking at:

New 2007 model (still not yet available) Nikon Monarch in 2.5 x 10 x 42 Nikoplex reticle

and

Bushnell 2.5 x 10 x 40 4200 Elite with Firefly reticle.

I like the idea of the Firefly for very low light hunting and in dark woods and swamps. Does it really work? It turns to normal duplex in daytime. The 4200 is a little longer and heavier and a few dollars less than the Nikon.

The Nikon seems ideal, but the duplex reticle they offer is a shade thin for low light in my opinion. The BDC reticle seems useless to me for a 17 Remington given for 99% of my shots it is a point and shoot trajectory at his velocity and yardage.

Nikon also has a 3 x 12 x 42 with side focus as well, but I don't think the adjustment is a good thing for my kind of shooting and would hurt more than help. Agree?

Leopold does not make a 4x magnification scope and I think that is a real plus for a light carry predator rifle on the East coast. Their 3.5 x 10 is nice, but for my use, I think the other two are better.

Can anyone give me any advise on the relative merrits of the two scopes in general regarding optic quality/warrenty support and further thoughts on the Firefly and the Nikoplex reticle?

Dimescover3, You need to "energize" the firefly reticle with a flashlight light source. The scopes you are looking at are nice, but since you are not looking for a "big" scope, you might check out the Leupold 2.5X8, or even smaller the 3X9 Leupold compact. The new compacts are available with a heavier duplex, have great light gathering, and good field of view. At 8 ounces, they are hard to beat and my choice on a lightweight rifle like you are describing. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I already own a 2.5 x 8 Leupy w/ standard duplex and love it, but find it a little lacking on the high end as my eyes get older. I thought also about their heavy duplex, but worried it might negate long range precision on groundhogs and load development. I knew that firefly had to be hit with a flashlight for a few minutes and that seemed worth the effort to save money over a lighted reticle and having less things that might break. I guess I just wonder does it really work and does it look normal in the daytime.

Though you didn't mention it, I have found the Zeiss Conquest scopes to be better, for my eyes, in low light and general resolution and clarity, than any other. I do have a Nikon Monarch Gold in 1.5-6 that is a great scope as well, but I remain most impressed with the Zeiss.

the Bushnell 4200 Elite series are great opticaly in their price range in my opion I have a 4X16 on my 22-250. I have never used a Firefly and have no experience with them. As previously listed the Zeiss Concrest are VERY good opticaly and are worth alook although they may be a little on the heavy side

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.