Best scope for new light weight rig

I'm also using the Hastings micro cell. I'm going very light on this rig. I'm using a pierce ti action. Ti action screws manners eh5, 22" carbon barrel with any extra weight removed. Two piece rings to save on rail weight. Ti fluted bolt and recoil lug. Trying to make it as light as possible to add some weight where I'll use it like the stock still light though and a little better glass. I ended up buying the z5 and just gotta decide which one to put on now.

You
wildcater

That's funny, the Hastings 1.26 is on all but 2 of my rifles. They are light, do a good job managing recoil,,,,and light, as you point out. The shotgunners have it figured out. Stocks, and it came from a poster here years ago,, but I also vacuum bag my own carbon fiber stocks. It's a bit of work, but I can vary my fill, or even if I fill, to get a fairly light stock. Fun work, lots of time though. I've patterned other folks stocks, so they also have zero resale, but a fun project. With the diy approach, basically have to make 2 half's, then join and fill

On the scope, google

Cabela's Intrepid HD 30mm Riflescopes by Vortex®

I really can't believe there is not much in regards to reviews, if you are near a cabelas, they are worth a look. For the price, seem to be a lot for the money. Almost done with a scope tester, basically a 50 pound block of concrete with a rail on it. Between my buddy and I we have three we want to run through the paces. So far, the only thing I'd change is the reticle size, it's fairly thick. But this is coming from a guy who really likes either the SIII, or the MOAR-T
Again
Did I read right you vacuum back your on carbon fiber stocks?Do you use cold pre preg sheets?Do you have a thermal blanket with a ramp up and down?Sorry for all the questions i used to do some minor composite work on aircraft most of my work like 99% was sheet metal.Thats great that you can fabricate your own stocks.

Most commercial outfits use 1 piece molds, my process takes more time. One side at a time. Use standard carbon cloth prepreg is too much $$. Get 2 sides, trim, then glue them together, fill, inlet,,,LOL, would be much easier to buy a production model

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 119
youngtrout,

Are you familiar with Hasting's Micro Cell Ultra Light Recoil Pad? What do you expect one of your stocks ready to go for a Weatherby Mark V six lug ultralight with a three ounce recoil pad would weigh?

The micro cell are awesome. Use them a lot. Weight? Lol. I do not make these for sale.....but generally I can get to the 24 ounce range. Helps justify a 32 ounce scope.

Commercially. McMillan and manners makes some light options. If you want ultralight. I like high tech spealities. But it's a straight stock

Thanks for the info. I was wanting to work with one of our .com friends. Since you are not going to play, I will let the the guys here know about the guy I was going to use before I saw your post. W.W. York, at oregunsmithingllc.com, makes a 24 ounce stock. His phone number is (541) 278-4797.

Thanks, the benefit to making your own is weight. Once you get over the learning curve of the process. This one is ready for paint. It has the hastings recoil pad installed, and is pillar bedded. Going on a 20 inch carbon barreled action, 6.5x47. No final weight yet,,,but its light

Or I can go heavy, for my 375 Ruger, this same stock weighs 3 pounds on that one

Attachments

• IMG_E2735.JPG
    IMG_E2735.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 125
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.