Need a new bullet choice for .243 that i can actually get.

Seems to me that if a bullet comes apart in flight, that there was tremendous damage done to the bullet as is traveled down the bore. Increased twist drastically changes bullet rpm. The 30-06 probably had 1-10 twist or maybe 1-12. Some are shooting much faster twist with no bullet problems. Saw a 22-250 with 14" twist that 1 out of 3 or 4 would fly apart before reaching 100 yards. This gun was pristine and well oiled on the outside and owner said he kept it zipped up in a case. Upon closer inspection it was difficult to push a patch through bore. It was rusted severely. I have shot speer tnt's at 4100fps with extremely thin jackets. Made for explosive impact on lower velocity cartridges. Never had one come apart in flight, but that is through a hand lapped quality barrel with no rust or pits. It would be interesting to look with borescope in the bore of cousins 30-06. Even some new factory barrels are rough and do damage to the bullet.
I don't doubt there's a maintenance issue with the 30/06 in question. Knowing the shooter. 😏 He was also shooting through a thin stand of tall grass right in front of the deer. Running them fast with Superformance. Factory rifle - not sure of brand or twist. From my broader experience though, it seems the Hornady stuff (SST, ELD's) is a tad more susceptible than the Berger's. This is not an absolute statement. Just personal observation. No axe to grind, or snake oil to sell here. Have used ELD-M's with great success myself in 6.5 PRC and 7-LRM, though they do open up pretty explosively on target. (Not all bad) I've never ran one through a shoulder though. All clean "in the crease" hits.

My experience is limited to only a few animals with the .243, those animals were taken using Sierra 85gr BTHP Gamekings and none required a 2nd shot. I emailed Sierra a few years back and told them that I thought if that bullet had a plastic tip for better BC that it would be the perfect .243 deer bullet. I'm currently shooting the 90gr TGK but have only punched paper so far.

My experience is limited to only a few animals with the .243, those animals were taken using Sierra 85gr BTHP Gamekings and none required a 2nd shot. I emailed Sierra a few years back and told them that I thought if that bullet had a plastic tip for better BC that it would be the perfect .243 deer bullet. I'm currently shooting the 90gr TGK but have only punched paper so far.
The ones I shot with the bullet last year were DRT!! If I can get my hands on them in the future I will stock up ti where i shouldn't ever have to buy them again.

My brother had a load worked up for 88 gr Hammer Shock Hammer that killed wild pigs so well he never even considered going to a heaver bullet and killed a few deer too.
What kind of velocity is he seeing? I've got a 6 Creed barrel on the way and I'm thinking of trying to run the 87gr Absolute Hammer. If I could get it over 3500 fps it should be devastating on whitetails.

It definitely took some searching and finding little out of the way shops that are willing to ship.
This was taken at my local gun store about 10 days ago enlarge it and look on the top shelf they are Surematch firearms in Savannah, TN 731-926-3272 if you see something you like pay for it and I will mail them to you
0B161E63-2372-439B-8350-2CC007EAC0B2.jpeg

This was taken at my local gun store about 10 days ago enlarge it and look on the top shelf they are Surematch firearms in Savannah, TN 731-926-3272 if you see something you like pay for it and I will mail them to youView attachment 289737
Top notch member right there! Nice of you to do that.

Recent Posts