Need a new bullet choice for .243 that i can actually get.

To answer your question, yessir. 6mm, 6.5, .277 and as soon as I can find some 139s I'll be running them in my 7-08AI.
Many animals taken with them in different cartridges from 30 to 501yrds with no problems at all. Never recovered a bullet as all have been pass through. Not that it matters to me. I'm of the opinion that all to often we scare people off of certain types of bullets because of what one person says about one instance and we take it for gospel. I made it a point to say that I've never recovered a SST because it seems to be the trend these days that we have to put 2 holes through an animal for it to fall over. Again, I don't hold that to be true. My point is you don't have to have an ultra premium bullet to accomplish this either. (Side note, I've never recovered a Berger either). My experience comes from Mule deer/whitetail, feral hogs and coyotes for what they are worth. I'm not saying this is the bullet for Elk or anything larger as I have no experience with these animals (although I wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk either). The OP asked about whitetail out to 500 and that is what I am recommending. The 95s are available where I am at and at a price point that makes them attractive choice for decent BC for down range performance and up close shots as well.
It still amazes me that we were able to bring down any animal 50 years ago with such inferior bullets😂. I would recommend the 100gr Interlock SP but the really do run out of steam past 300 out of a .243.
Not trying to start a fight, but I agree with your comment as to the Hammers being over promoted on here. I'm sure they are a fine bullet (I have no experience), but some times it feels as if we are being force fed.

Take my info for what it is worth, to each there own. To be perfectly honest, no matter what bullet the OP chooses, it will always come down to shot placement.

Good luck and happy hunting
My concern was with the high velocity and faster twist. Maybe yours was an 8 twist also? Super if it works. Might be a better bullet than I thought. Found this: https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=33226

and this: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/hornady-sst-terminal-performance.172240/

Yes on the Hammer Hunter 70 grains .243".
In a 20" barrel with 10" twist, we use R9.5mag H4350 47.5gn, 70gnHH for 3575fps.

I would get a 50-pack so that you can use up to 30+ for load development. Sure, 15 bullets may be enough, but the bullet is definitely worth an extra try if 15 doesn't work out with a particular available combination. The 69gn Absolute Hammer would also be good to try, trading off a little BC (.16 to .14 G7) for +150-200fps. Accuracy would be the decider between the two and both will handle deer.

Recent Posts