Need 4 speed

243ailoon

Is a 7MM STW fast enough or do I need something faster for hunting out west
(250 - 400 yds. Antelope, Muledeer, & Elk)
Is a 270 ACI. IMP. worthwhile investing in?

ive been using 7stw for 4 years now ,never lost an animal , shot everything from antelope to caribou , sheep , moose , deer , and elk .
i use barnes ttsx 140grs with 82grs of rl22 out of a 24inch barrel running at 3475, never had a problem , taking animals out to 600m. seems to work just fine.
soory to change the subject but someone posted a true ballistic website for all bullets, just wondering if anyone remebers it thanks.

What are you hunting?

Elephants or Kodiak Bear?

On the other hand, Iam a small fan of overkill, and don't mind carrying a cannon when there may be bears around.

But seriously, what are you hunting that requires a killer round such as this?

Texas

just what we have up here in canada , i have different rifles , but i can use this round for anything we have here ,except for the big bears then i would go up to the 30 cals , i like this round because its very flat shooting , ive thought about going to a heavier bullet for lr but so far it hasnt let me down , also i would like to comment on the barnes expansion, all the animals i ve taking at short distances the exit isnt huge but the internal damage is outstanding , the longer range kills have all opened up fine , ive never lost an animal since using barnes most never tahe more then a couple steps .

Haha I get it now...your out west is my waaaay northeast. Barnes bullets certainly kill, I just have a little benchrest in my blood and don't like their poor BCs.

I like the 7stw, I just don't have a use for it in the states.

Btw, you go go ong range with a light bullet also. Swift Sciroccos have a higher BC in their 150 bullets than most any other bullet heavier than that. If not all...

Texas.

i know bergers have great bcs , swifts ive heard r great lots of guys up here use them , my barnes shoot great groups iam thinking of trying 168 vld bergs , just for something new , but i like 99% retention

speed and high bc and lots of work at the range,light load to max sometimes
find a accurate one in the middle'maybe have to change powder or bullet wt
or design. Ihave to get a good group at a100 before i move farther out.
I am in the process of loading for two rifles both rem and both 7mag
I do belive the b^&*()$ are jealous of one another. I had my ss700 hitting
wonderfully with 120g nozler bt ;accuracy load right out of the nozler book
.75 at the very most,most of the time a lot better. Then I acqired my new beauty a rem 700 Sendro my dream rifle (better not say gun they both will
be offended. The Sendero shoots and hits like a dream. Small groups at 200
just orded 168g Sie MK,Ihope they both love me for it.They have my undevided att now. Sometime in July my first love returns from Krieger
300winmag just waiting to be caressed and fired,after it is broke in .
In the meantime me and my little varmit 700 in .308 are making some
very small groups on the side.Most of these are paper shooters .Because
ive been hunting with my model 7 243. All my rifles have got meat for the
table except my HR handy rifle in 45-70. I load for all my rifles and some of my
nephews. How yall are fine i hope, this is my introduction of myself to some of the likeminded people of this world. Every body in the world could be from
Texas but we would only have standing room. When the wind stops blowing
it will be time for some fishing on Beautyfull Toledo Bend here in East Texas
Sam Rayburn will be full of tournament fisherman ; not me this time i all ready
have a 200$ hat. You get a hat when you enter a tornament,turned some Big
bass lose,but couldnot catch one in a contest. thats gratitude for you.

I agree that VLDs shoot VERY well, but since they must be seated to touch the rifling, it makes them hell to get in a standard mag... so when the grizzly charges, better make the first one count haha.

Happy hunting.

Texas

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.