Neck tension HELP!!!

OP stated the brass has NOT been resized after firing the ammo. When someone is reloading and not understanding all the steps could be very dangerous.

As others have stated, you have a no turn factory necked chamber. It should do what it is doing. Resize and rock on.

New gun..you simply have a factory chamber with generious neck clearances. Nothing wrong. The only draw back could be shorter brass life because you need to work the brass so much. All you need to do to solve that is to anneal your necks.

No worries!!!
Thx 4X. I never got into annealing but it looks like im about to start.

Wow is all I have to say 4x..... You through out your answers without understanding a simple matter of reading the OP's statements to the real issue he misunderstanding. You have him now thinking he needs to be annealing his brass when he is missing a very basic understanding of reloading, sizing his brass in a die after he has fired it.

Motown, you should start to read the ABC's of Reloading, or I'd suggest you read Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook by Bill Gravatt and Fred Sinclair. This last book will walk you through just about everything you'll ever need to know without a bunch of confusion from someone telling you something that is irrelevant to the problem you're experiencing now.

Wow is all I have to say 4x..... You through out your answers without understanding a simple matter of reading the OP's statements to the real issue he misunderstanding. You have him now thinking he needs to be annealing his brass when he is missing a very basic understanding of reloading, sizing his brass in a die after he has fired it.

Motown, you should start to read the ABC's of Reloading, or I'd suggest you read Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook by Bill Gravatt and Fred Sinclair. This last book will walk you through just about everything you'll ever need to know without a bunch of confusion from someone telling you something that is irrelevant to the problem you're experiencing now.

The OP states that he takes once fired brass (not resized brass) and drops a bullet into the case and it drops to the bottom of the case. IE..a genorously cut chamber neck. No where does it state in the OP that this happens AFTER he resizes. I have two guns that do the same thing...a Lapua and a rem 7mm mag. In a "nomal" chamber, the fired case would hold the bullet and would require little sizing to properly hold the bullet. You may only be reducing the neck .003 - 004 ,depending on spring back during resizing. With a case fired in a chamber cut excessavly large one would have to reduce the necks eight, ten, twelve....thou. Do this a few times and you will develope split necks.

There was nothing wrong with my post in regaurds to the OP. There is nothing "wrong" with the rifle and excessivly working the case necks will case splits. The ONLY solution is to anneal....or buy new brass. The whole OPwas basicly blaming the gun for this issue.

The fact that there may be "other issues" was not evedent in the first post.

Agreed, nothing wrong with the gun or chamber, simple a no turn factory. Anneal every 3 firings and brass will last for a long while.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts