neck clearances

ok. so just so i get this right, clearance is considered the overall difference and not the dimension from one side of the case to the neck wall?

ok. so just so i get this right, clearance is considered the overall difference and not the dimension from one side of the case to the neck wall?
Yes, call and order a reamer with .003 clearance and your gonna get .0015 on each side.

A resized and loaded case would be .309". When I went to the bushing die I got a .307" bushing to have .002" tension. The finished product is .309". No different than when I was using the standard die. How would I be better off not using a bushing die? What am I missing?
There is no difference, except a bushing die is adjustable & partial neck sizing, which many prefer. As far as oversizing, because of the excess sizing in one step, this will happen bushing or not. It's a matter of the brass following angles imparted.
The only reason people notice it with bushing dies is because they're expecting sized neck ODs as stamped on their bushing.
Also,,
[(.309(loaded OD)-.284(cal))/2 = 12.5thou neck thickness. No matter what you size with or to, you will have a loaded neck OD of .309" with that normal thickness of necks.
And ~.316 - .309 = ~7thou clearance. No funny math to any of this.

Bushing dies allow you to switch different brands of brass and size the necks accordingly.

A bushing floats and can move from side to side and even tilt and induce neck runout when reducing the neck diameter .004 or more.

There is a reason why so many reloaders with factory chambers use the Lee collet die with a body die and that is less neck runout after sizing.

Bushing dies work best with tight neck chambers and neck turned brass.

If you watched the 6.5 Guys video I posted they stated they got less neck runout with a honed Forster full length die than with a Redding bushing die.

Too much of what benchrest shooters do with their custom chambered rifles filters down to the reloaders with off the shelf factory rifles and it is not needed.

There is no difference, except a bushing die is adjustable & partial neck sizing, which many prefer. As far as oversizing, because of the excess sizing in one step, this will happen bushing or not. It's a matter of the brass following angles imparted.
The only reason people notice it with bushing dies is because they're expecting sized neck ODs as stamped on their bushing.
Also,,
[(.309(loaded OD)-.284(cal))/2 = 12.5thou neck thickness. No matter what you size with or to, you will have a loaded neck OD of .309" with that normal thickness of necks.
And ~.316 - .309 = ~7thou clearance. No funny math to any of this.

Thank you

A bushing floats and can move from side to side and even tilt and induce neck runout when reducing the neck diameter .004 or more.

There is a reason why so many reloaders with factory chambers use the Lee collet die with a body die and that is less neck runout after sizing.

Bushing dies work best with tight neck chambers and neck turned brass.

If you watched the 6.5 Guys video I posted they stated they got less neck runout with a honed Forster full length die than with a Redding bushing die.

Too much of what benchrest shooters do with their custom chambered rifles filters down to the reloaders with off the shelf factory rifles and it is not needed.

...and thank you...

Also keep in mind that you 0.309" fired case have sprung back to that dimension from a slightly larger amount.

I've got had all kinds of dies bushing and non -bushing, RCBS, Forster, Hornandy, Pacific, Redding and Whidden for turned and neck turned.
I'm using Whiddens more and more bushing and non- bushing and getting .001 or less runout on both better with neck turned. You can not set up a bushing the same as a non bushing and expect the same results and I think that's were some people get get runout issues.
I do not run tight neck chambers most all are .004 -.005 clearance and I have no problem with runout all dies are not created equall that's why I stay away from Hornady and RCBS anymore.

The Redding bushing die FAQ tells you to reduce the neck diameter in two or more steps when sizeing the more than .002.

They also tell you that if the neck thickness variations are .002 or more, then use the expander that comes with their bushing dies.

And neck sizing dies do not support and hold the case body when sizing the neck. Meaning they can increase neck runout because the both the case body and neck can move during sizing.

And at the Whidden custom die website they tell you they get more concentric cases with non-bushing full length dies. And Whidden does not make neck sizing dies, but will make custom dies from your fired cases.

Below are just some of the dies I tested for case neck runout after sizing, and the Forster full length dies were the best with bushing neck sizing die with the most runout.

pltdloo.jpg

I also tested .243 and .308 Win dies and the modified Redding die below with a Forster expander and spindle assembly produced less runout than the Redding factory expander.

kWbieba.jpg

The best part about reloading is the person pulling the press handle decides how to do it. And from my experience Forster full length dies with their high mounted floating expanders produce very concentric cases.

I dont want to turn this into an arguement but Whiddens site states "Typically" they see better runout with non bushing not that non bushing in every case better runout.
I have 5 sets of Whiddens bushing and non bushing and see no difference in the runout between the 2 only difference is you have to set the bushing up different

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.