How much neck clearance?

Westernhuntr

How much neck clearance should I have with a loaded round?
I'm using Peterson brass in my 338 NM and initially loaded diameter was .368 and fired diameter is .369.
I couldn't get a bullet to slide into a fired neck without really forcing it so I skim turned the necks.

Now I have 002 neck clearance with a loaded round and it's still slightly tight sliding a bullet into a fired case.

I took a little more off and now a loaded round measures .004 less than a fired neck.
Did I take too much off?
Neck thickness is .015

Personally, depending on the size and power of a cartridge and it's use I use .003 minimum to .004. On dangerous game rifles I use .006 to .008 for safety.

This makes for a clean Bullet release and lowers the pressure in big magnums.

J E CUSTOM

Personally, depending on the size and power of a cartridge and it's use I use .003 minimum to .004. On dangerous game rifles I use .006 to .008 for safety.

This makes for a clean Bullet release and lowers the pressure in big magnums.

J E CUSTOM
Awesome
So if I'm in the .004-.005 range I should be solid

Lapua 338 brass tends to spring back a thou or a little over so on some of my wildcats I'll trim for .002-.003 clearance from that first firing so I'm really in the 3-4 thou range.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.