Neck diameter clearance on tight neck chamber

Thought about that. It's not going to be a field rifle in this configuration. Thought about a rechamber, thought about a re-barrel. Thought about doing precisely 5,452 different things to the rifle and In another 1000 or so rounds, it may become an edge or add a Lapua bolt from BAT and go to exotic dedicated LR/ELR rig in an Ackley or XC something or other or whatnot, but for now, I'll go down the rabbit hole and learn the process for this rifle as-is. I really want to fully understand the various processes involved in this type of thing. Then after spending way too much time, effort, money, frustration and ultimately - joy, I'll scrap the idea and go back to a .308😀

Wanted to resurrect this post and add a minuscule update. I have begun brass prep! With my schedule, this is actually a monumental achievement. Cases trimmed to uniform length, and necks turned to .0105/side. Ended up with a 21st century turning setup and after several months of research, YouTube and wincing, I finally cut a neck. Now, After the first 50 cases, the whole novelty of turning necks had worn out, but developing a technique that yielded consistent results has renewed my vigor for precision! Next step—actually loading rounds... plan on Retumbo and 180VLDs to start

Sounds like your on your way to doing it right. Not many guys shooting fitted cases anymore. Practically none. I know quite a few guys that have shot 1000 yard BR world records. None of them shoot fitted cases. None of them neck size. In fact one guy that still has the record uses a special small base die and sets his brass back .007 to .008 and told me he likes brass to be very loose in the chamber. I know a couple that shot the 6.5-284 for a long time and said it wouldn't shoot good with nothing less than .004 neck clearence. They won alot. I shoot BR to be competitive and I'm not going to revert back to what guys did in the 60s and 70s. If that way was better they all would be doing it that way now. Records are dropping every yr now and it's being done with full length sizing and neck clearence. They are not doing it because they don't know how to do a fitted case. But because they want to win. You are on the right track keep us up to date with your results. It's always fun learning new stuff. I hope it's a hammer for you.
Shep

Thanks, Shep. This will likely be a slowly developing thread, but I'll try to keep up on it. The smith who built the rifle did mention that, after the barrelis shot out, there was no reason to use the tight necked chamber. The adage "thin to win" seems to no longer be the "thing". Super tight tolerances winning or losing aside, I'm happily miserable learning and ( hopefully, lol!) executing the process of loading for a tight chamber. I've spent 15 years just running off the shelf dies and SAAMI chambers ( doing fairly well), the last 5 years actually delving into what really works, custom chambers, precision measurements and all the other stuff that never really matters when you practice at 1000+ and harvest game at 100, lol! It's fun and frustrating at the same time. If all this extra stuff doesn't pay off, I'llbe ****ed! The rifle is a proven shooter, I'm just hoping to do it justice and develop some skills along the way. Thanks for the guidance fellas.

Nothing wrong with practice at 1000 and killing at 100 either. Some people hunt better and some shoot better. Just got to do what works for you. The long range accuacy game is a fun journey. First time I shot at 1000 I was hooked. Thought I knew how to reload great ammo too. Ammo for shooting tiny groups at 100 and 200 yards is easy compared to the long range ammo. Had to change some stuff up.
Can't wait to hear how you make out.
Good luck.
Shep

Cart way ahead of the horse. Load and shoot some. If the bullet will drop in a fired empty case, you're good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts