Necessary precision to kill something

Statistics: 60% of the time, they work every time!😂
I agree that most guys (a very large majority) overestimate their abilities by a large margin, but if you listen to some of the (let's call them) naysayers we shouldn't be able to reliably hit anything past about 400 yards. However here we sit with guys doing it daily.
I used to tell Snipers and now emphasize it to new LR shooters in class, the hardest thing to teach someone is when not to pull the trigger. Test your limits on the range so you know your limits in the field.
Are you saying you disagree with the podcast posted by the OP? To hit a pie plate at 1000 yards 100% of the time your wind call has to be perfect - and not change, to say nothing of rifle accuracy. Even the best stats I have seen on laser scintillation and doppler laser anemometers have an error of 1/2 to 1 mph. Granted, you don't have to perfect to hit most of the time, but to hit 100% you do. As I pointed out, half the time a bad wind call (right direction but slightly wrong speed) puts you in the money on shot that would have been out otherwise.

Oh there is definitely 1/2 MOA rifles. Just not hunting rifles, in various field conditions lol. But 20lb guns with $2000 rests on a concrete slab. Absolutely.
I use Bryan Blake for my builds because I watched him put 20 shots into 1.9" at 500 yards. Granted, it was F class and had all the bells and whistles you mention.

Nice shooting!

Would you take that shot on game? Curious…not judging.
In all honesty, under calm conditions, if I can't get closer, yes. My goal before last season was to have correct data and be proficient out to 1200 yards. Now I shoot 1200 pretty often. Nothing is guaranteed at that distance, so I am also mentally prepared to deal with the aftermath of a bad hit, or celebrate a good hit.

With that said, I've not taken lots of 1000 yard shots on animals, and opted to get closer. I will ALWAYS get closer if the terrain allows. A 1200 yard bomb is absolute last case option because it is far from a guarantee.

In all honesty, under calm conditions, if I can't get closer, yes. My goal before last season was to have correct data and be proficient out to 1200 yards. Now I shoot 1200 pretty often. Nothing is guaranteed at that distance, so I am also mentally prepared to deal with the aftermath of a bad hit, or celebrate a good hit.

With that said, I've not taken lots of 1000 yard shots on animals, and opted to get closer. I will ALWAYS get closer if the terrain allows. A 1200 yard bomb is absolute last case option because it is far from a guarantee.
I don't know if I could shoot that group with my rifles at 1200. Maybe my 300 WM.

That being said, I'm in the same boat….last day of the season, close to end of the day and it's do or die. Even then it'd probably be a no for me.

Then there's always that little devil on your shoulder that tells you to just send it….

I don't know if I could shoot that group with my rifles at 1200. Maybe my 300 WM.

That being said, I'm in the same boat….last day of the season, close to end of the day and it's do or die. Even then it'd probably be a no for me.

Then there's always that little devil on your shoulder that tells you to just send it….

I actually had 3 opportunities to shoot animals at around 1000 yards this year. I ended up killing them at 100, 130 and 206 yards lol

Are you saying you disagree with the podcast posted by the OP? To hit a pie plate at 1000 yards 100% of the time your wind call has to be perfect - and not change, to say nothing of rifle accuracy. Even the best stats I have seen on laser scintillation and doppler laser anemometers have an error of 1/2 to 1 mph. Granted, you don't have to perfect to hit most of the time, but to hit 100% you do. As I pointed out, half the time a bad wind call (right direction but slightly wrong speed) puts you in the money on shot that would have been out otherwise.
I was just poking fun with that first comment, but I'll bite. For starters I tell people not to believe 100% of what anyone tells them (that includes me). Everyone is going to feed you bad information (intentionally or not) at some point, gather the facts and draw your own conclusions. Take your comment above about your wind call alone having to be perfect (and not change) to hit a pie plate at 1000 yards. That is true for the average rifle/load, but what if I told you I had a rifle/load that only moved about 2" per 1 mph at 1000 yards…at sea level, in standard environmental conditions? Gets even better in them there mountains the podcast refers to.😂
A super high BC at high velocity makes life much easier.
You don't have to believe me, do the numbers yourself. As another stated in a previous post, numbers don't lie…but they can be influenced by those inputing them.

And no LRNut, none of that was a stone thrown at you. I rather enjoy your postings, just answer your question as I would if we were in person.

Only time I've actually grouped this rifle. Usually I'm looking for first round impact location, maybe a follow up. Had some wind, bottom left was a sighter. Adjusted and sent 5 more. 18" plate at 976yds. Across canyon but wind was pretty constant.

Another we couldn't see impacts as the target isn't painted and we didn't have a phone skope, but went 3/3 at 785yds on a 14" circle, slight wind. That was the only time I brought it out in 2023. This is no way to try and make a precision rifle claim, but these are real world results in a hunting type environment. Practical accuracy to take an animal at these ranges as well. This is the testing I do to see if a rifle is ready at a given range, multiple trips with repeatable results. It's fun to talk group sizes, but if I am putting first round impacts, and groups in a kill box on an animal repeatedly, then that's the precision I'm looking for.
IMG_7583.jpeg

I was just poking fun with that first comment, but I'll bite. For starters I tell people not to believe 100% of what anyone tells them (that includes me). Everyone is going to feed you bad information (intentionally or not) at some point, gather the facts and draw your own conclusions. Take your comment above about your wind call alone having to be perfect (and not change) to hit a pie plate at 1000 yards. That is true for the average rifle/load, but what if I told you I had a rifle/load that only moved about 2" per 1 mph at 1000 yards…at sea level, in standard environmental conditions? Gets even better in them there mountains the podcast refers to.😂
A super high BC at high velocity makes life much easier.
You don't have to believe me, do the numbers yourself. As another stated in a previous post, numbers don't lie…but they can be influenced by those inputing them.

And no LRNut, none of that was a stone thrown at you. I rather enjoy your postings, just answer your question as I would if we were in person.
What exactly are you shooting? Because a .45 G7 at 3500fps still drifts 3" at 1000 lol. And both of those are unrealistic numbers when combined hahaha