Anti Cant device, necessary?

PGJPJ

I'm only just getting into, what I guess you guys would call "medium range" shooting. I just build a 280ai, but I didn't want to go off the deep end trying to go for a truly long range rig. So I'm going for a 600-700 yard rifle.

Would an anti-cant (basically a bubble level) be needed at those ranges? I feel like this kind of stuff is like going down the rabbit hole. Where does it end? :rolleyes:

This is primarily a hunting rifle, with some long(er) range target fun built in.

Past 500 I'd say it's useful. At 1000 yards it's really noticeable!
I agree with this. At 500 yards you get about 3/4" of error per degree of cant. Most shooters can probably keep within 1 or 2 degrees if they pay attention. 5 degrees is quite a bit and would be about the maximum you could have without it being obvious. At 700 yards the error is around 1.75" per degree and at 1000 yards its close to 4.5".

depends on the rifle. but like the others have said, after 500yards its a good idea. after 1000 I think its necessary. all my precision rifles wear them.

Thor that has alot of videos out .Look them up,sighted threw his rifle and kept it closer to level with no aid, than the loose tolerance of the bubble between the lines. Im a builder and I can see plumb easy,I dont have one on my hunting rig and doesnt worry me a bit.Shot accurate for hunting to 1000+,have one on my practice rifle.The terrain I hunt the ACI far more important to me and have on several rifles

Every rifle i own wears one.

Its amazing what tricks a landscape can play on your eye.

+1.

They're relatively cheap, light and easy to install. Why pour money into the sport, draw a coveted tag and miss the trophy (or worse yet, wound and loose) of a lifetime only to save 20-100 bucks or to save 2 ounces on your rifle? To me, this is a no brainer. It is a cheap and easy way to eliminate one of the variables on the long list of things that you can screw up. Any time you can eliminate a variable, you're foolish not to.

Just my .02$

I'm only just getting into, what I guess you guys would call "medium range" shooting. I just build a 280ai, but I didn't want to go off the deep end trying to go for a truly long range rig. So I'm going for a 600-700 yard rifle.

Would an anti-cant (basically a bubble level) be needed at those ranges? I feel like this kind of stuff is like going down the rabbit hole. Where does it end? :rolleyes:

This is primarily a hunting rifle, with some long(er) range target fun built in.
If you are going to dope and dial yes, it's a necessity vs a luxury or just something tacticool.

I thought I could judge yardage well until I purchased a rangefinder.

I thought I saw plumb well until I purchased a level for my rifle.

Like posted before, terrain can fool you. Buy yourself a level.

I keep a few extra of these levels in a drawer and use them on a few of my rifles. They are about $13.00 and work well I think. They get a few negative reviews but I have these on 3 rifles and they work very well. Just need to learn how to use them. I think they are easier than the ones that mount on the scope a lot of times. I have the Vortex levels on other rifles, but they can be a pain to install and get adjusted right and since they are on they scope, there is that possibility that they could move. The ones in the link below attach to the rail.
B-Square Bubble Bore Level Weaver-Style

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.