NBT 120's, anyone else sold on them?

I use the 120gr BT in my 6.5 Grendel and the only animal that I shoot with them are coyotes. They do an awesome job on coyotes. I have had many bad experiences with BT on deer sized game and larger to keep me from using them. On the other hand, I have seen a person drop a huge bodies bull elk with a 180 gr BT out of a 300 RUM. It all comes down to personal preference. Are there better bullet choices than what you are using? I and most people on this forum would say yes. But in the end, it's up to you. If it works for you and you like it then use it.

Let me respond to some of the points that were brought up. First off, I did fail to mention that the NBT120's that I was referring to are 7mm. There is a 6.5mm version of the same weight, which has a much better BC, making it more suitable for ranges exceeding 500 yards.

Winmag, you got your numbers wrong. The difference stated was 0.05sec, NOT 0.005. Reality check? Just kiddin. I don't consider 120gr to be "tiny", as 55's are routinely used against "human sized" targets. Albeit, they are the FMJ rounds. I have had numerous 7mm NBT120's fail to exit on the whitetails, but with 3,000 ft/lb of energy being dissipated inside the chest cavity in an instant, they always go down. The longest time I can recall before dropping was maybe 5 seconds. But normally, they instantly drop to the ground like a sack of potatos. Now if I was hunting bigger stuff, like elk or bear, you bet your sweet petueties I'd be slinging bigger chunks of lead!

You might be right about me being on the wrong site. I do agree that 300 yards is meager, for this site. But being that it is mostly forested mountains where I live (in PA), the opportunities for long shots aren't all that common, unless hunting on farmland, in the valleys or "rolling" hills. But I do like the site, as there seems to be many friendly, knowledgeable people here. And honestly, I really do have long range aspirations. I've already bought a 1500yd range finder, and a Kestrel 4000 (or higher) IS on my whish-list. Anyone have one for sale, for a reasonable price? Bluetooth connectivity would be nice.

For those not believing that the flash spooked it, consider this: I had the scope set at 24X, but had to reduce it down to about 13X because the light level was too low at 24, with the 40mm objective. That was looking into a open clearing. If you consider the deer's view in my direction under the canopy of trees, it was too dark in there for it so see ME at 300, but the darkness would lend significantly to it seeing the flash. The other thing is that when I fired the shot, it was standing still broadside, with it's back legs side-by-side. But when I examined how the round went through the rear end, it was obvious that the legs were far from lined up, indicating that it was just starting out into a run.

Oh, and early morning in the woods (down in a valley, between 2 mountains), there was no wind.

EDIT: But "primary" usage is target (including the kind that go boom) shooting, and stalking/sniping of chucks, coyotes, crows, etc.

Too late for editing that last post (again). But I just wanted to state that I understand the scenario that I have just described is NOT typical of what a shooter is likely to encounter. I don't mean to imply that everybody who hunts deer needs to use a magnum with fast bullets. I was just telling a story, of a scenario that IS possible, because it DID happen to me.

-Steve

Ive shot at least 20 deer with 120 bts out of my 264mag and they allways got the job done. I read last year that the 120 7mms were made a bit tougher then the other bts because silouette shooters use them and wanted to try them in my two 7mags and my 7stw but just couldnt get them to shoot well out of any of those three guns.

Yea, same here. They always did the job Even if they hit bone and shattered, failing to exit. They still drop pretty **** cleanly every time, using a magnum. I wonder why the 120s didn't work out in your 7s. Do they have special twist?

Dont know max. Could be just that they didnt like that bullet. Could be in some other 7mag even the same exact model theyd shot well. The 120 6.5 is the best shooting bullet ive found in my 264.

The 7mm may be different, but personally I wont ever use the 6.5 120 NBT on deer again, they shoot great on paper out of my .260, incredible groups.

I shot a 140lb Oklahoma Whitetail last November, the 120 NBT hit the left front shoulder and exploded, bullet and bone fragments jellied the outside of the left lung but only penetrated the first 1/4-1/3 of the lung. deer ran off, no blood trail, doing a group search we were able to find him, but that experience will be the end of me using 6.5 120 NBT's for anything larger than Coyotes.

Just my personal experience.

Well, I was actually referring to the 7mm version, of the same weight. Some say that it has an extra-thick jacket. I don't know if the 6.5mm version shares that trait, or not. I do agree that into the shoulder blades are NOT where you want to be with the shot though. The one that I hit there is the one that took 5 or so seconds before it finally crumpled to the ground. I'd estimate that it traveled maybe 25 yards during that time. There was no exit hole, and the meat on BOTH shoulders was really shredded up. I remember the guy that I had precess it was really bitching about it. He advised me that I needed to be taking neck shots.

EDIT: I do know that, as far as the ballistic tip series goes, nosler differentiates between what they consider the "varmint" and the "game" calibers, with the game calibers sporting thick jackets, while the varmint caliber jackets are thin. I think that 6.5 would be considered a game caliber, but I'm not sure what THEIR call is on it.

I agree with max. Ive shot many deer with the 6.5 120 and have ate everyone i pulled the trigger on. Ill add that about any deer you hit on the shoulder with a high velocity round is going to do alot of damage. In many cases a premium bullet will even do worse. Some of the most damaged deer ive shot have been with partitions. I personal think that its because a premium bullet like a partition will penetrate deaper. Shoot a deer on the shoulder with a bt and you will surely loose that shoulder. Shoot one with a partition and im betting you will loose the off side shoulder too. I shot probably an average of 50 deer a year doing crop damage and anymore if i cant shoot behind the shoulder i dont shoot. I know sometimes when a trophy buck comes out you dont want to wait or cant wait for a perfect shot but ive never seen a case where you could shoot a deer right on the shoulder where you couldnt place the bullet behind the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.