My ultralight timber stick - building a 4 lb rifle

An interesting ultra-light build for deer would be a Howa mini in 6mm ARC. Buy the heavy barreled action and flute it deep. Slab side the action and flute the bolt and then nest it in Stocky's carbon fiber (21 oz). I have a Howa mini bbld action on order from Brownell's (6mm ARC, heavy barrel) and I have the Stocky's carbon fiber stock in hand. I might just try it.

I built a similar rifle using only what I could buy on a small budget. Didn't keep track of expenses, but I'll estimate that I built it for about $750-800 and a bunch of elbow grease.

Howa Mini barreled action in the lightest barrel contour offered for the 7.62X39, but the same rifle could be built in 6.5 Grendel. Boyd's laminate stock (for now). Leupold Ultralight 2-7x (claimed to be 8.2oz) in Talley mounts. I did use a DIP bottom metal for it's better durability knowing that it was costing me some weight. It shoots PPU 124 SP's like they know your intended target and have radar.

I pocketed the underside of the Talley's and extensively hollowed out the stock in both the butt and the forearm. Cut the magazine down to get it as flush as was possible, so now it's a 3 round mag instead of a 5 round mag. Scoped and slung, empty magazine it weighs 6.9lbs. There's some metal in the DIP part that I could remove with a drill that wouldn't show or affect function. I was able to find button head Torx in Titanium for the action screws. I've debated drilling them length-wise, but haven't done that yet. I did add some weight in using the pocket type of sling swivel, but left the stud type in the forearm for use with a Harris. The blued steel was Cerakoted Midnight Blue and if I can ever find a firm to do the work, the bolt body & FP will be Nickel-Tefloned.

I neither know nor care what it weighs w/o the scope, mounts, and sling because I'll never shoot it or carry it in the field like that. I feel that rifle weights reported at less than fully outfitted are misleading at best and cheating at worst. If I take enough stuff off this rifle I can make it a 3 lbs. rifle, but it would never be used at that weight.

i-MkZzBqB-M.jpg

i-Hkw7zW5-L.jpg
No cheating on listing rifle weight alone, it let's other people that may be considering a similar build know how much room you have for scope weight. I also went on to list the rest of the component weights if you looked, including ammo. When going for a weight goal on a hunting rifle, being that the rifle itself is what makes up the majority of the weight, it simply is important to know that number. Someone may have a weight goal, but they want to run a 5-25 ATACR because it's a rock solid optic and they like the magnification range. The rifle I'm building for instance, would be about 3 oz heavier than yours while running a NF 5-25 ATACR.

So no, it's not cheating, because this isn't a competition. It's informing......

I guess I don't see it that way. Not that it is not a competition, because you're right about that or should be, but because you only ever carry the complete rifle with sights or optics into the field. The partially assembled weight of the rifle is useless and I think reporting it as the rifle's weight is a bit disingenuous. I only care what each component weighs because of how that affects the total weight. I'd never report the partial weight of the rifle as the rifle's weight, but I would report the full weight of the rifle and qualify that with saying how much the mounts, optics, etc. all weighed if asked (assuming that I knew those weights).

I guess it comes down to the phrasing. If it is said to be "a 5 lb rifle less mounts and optic or sights", then I'd be OK with the statement, but if it is said to be "a 5 lb rifle" then most would reasonably assume that the rifle is complete, functional, and in use at that weight.
It will be a 5 lb rifle (as in less than 6, the first number in the weight of the rifle is 5) with optic, sling, ammo, ready to hunt.....

Not really sure why your coming into my rifle build thread to argue semantics. Seems rather pointless.

Cody - I think you are going to end up with an awesome timber rifle that will become one of your favorite purpose built rifles. We all have our preferences, but a good old 308 win would be hard to beat in this configuration. Very pleasant to shoot and the variety of suitable pills and other components are the easy button for short to medium range hunting. Keep us posted.

And this folks, is a prime example of what the ignore button is for. When someone is trolling, let them do it, they are not contributing anything useful.
Cody,

Don't let it discourage you. As you can see, there are a few looking forward to what you come up with. This is one of the reasons "I" never ask peeps what rifle to build or buy.

Ed