My two day guided hunt lasted 15 minutes

brcfo_outdoors

A little back story here, I have always been a DIY kind of guy when it comes to hunting which has definitely yielded mixed results. I starting hunting in high school with my buddy, and we would run around the public lands of central/coastal California with archery equipment and no idea what we were doing. We would see pigs but never got close to shoot anything but piglets which I chose to pass on. Years went on and I would occasionally try for pigs but stopped a few years back, though continued to buy tags each year just in case. Well this year I turned 30 and decide to go on my first guided hunt ever and figured I would opt for a pig to try and complete that long term goal. So I reach out to the guide, scheduled a two day hunt, and prepped and provisioned accordingly. Night before I drive three hours to car camp, and get up at 0400 to meet the guide, we drive about fifteen minutes to some private land and gear up. Guide says we should check out a pond really quick that was right near the farm house where we had parked. So we hoofed it for about five minutes and I shot this pig at the pond. I can't argue with my success but I was kind of looking forward to the full two day experience. Oh well. Just wanted to share my story, figured you guys might appreciate it.

Rifle is a Bighorn Origin that I built with a Proof barrel in a Manners EH1 and topped with a Meopta Optika6 3-18x56. Ammo was the factory Barnes Vor-TX 6.5CM load shooting 120gr TTSX. Pig was a little over 200lbs.

upkLYsSFvF43vHheqqTydV5WbBHnjMEEnVBl1HNASjh9C-HbtYOr7vF-Jg5pkWdrcyMHi8CuVhFXwJyr2X5Oo0qZsgAHxzJNMmF8GW3PKMGm_1m4eSOaEnwoq0DfDrhkilIWjXTqDg=w1200

A little back story here, I have always been a DIY kind of guy when it comes to hunting which has definitely yielded mixed results. I starting hunting in high school with my buddy, and we would run around the public lands of central/coastal California with archery equipment and no idea what we were doing. We would see pigs but never got close to shoot anything but piglets which I chose to pass on. Years went on and I would occasionally try for pigs but stopped a few years back, though continued to buy tags each year just in case. Well this year I turned 30 and decide to go on my first guided hunt ever and figured I would opt for a pig to try and complete that long term goal. So I reach out to the guide, scheduled a two day hunt, and prepped and provisioned accordingly. Night before I drive three hours to car camp, and get up at 0400 to meet the guide, we drive about fifteen minutes to some private land and gear up. Guide says we should check out a pond really quick that was right near the farm house where we had parked. So we hoofed it for about five minutes and I shot this pig at the pond. I can't argue with my success but I was kind of looking forward to the full two day experience. Oh well. Just wanted to share my story, figured you guys might appreciate it.

Rifle is a Bighorn Origin that I built with a Proof barrel in a Manners EH1 and topped with a Meopta Optika6 3-18x56. Ammo was the factory Barnes Vor-TX 6.5CM load shooting 120gr TTSX. Pig was a little over 200lbs.

upkLYsSFvF43vHheqqTydV5WbBHnjMEEnVBl1HNASjh9C-HbtYOr7vF-Jg5pkWdrcyMHi8CuVhFXwJyr2X5Oo0qZsgAHxzJNMmF8GW3PKMGm_1m4eSOaEnwoq0DfDrhkilIWjXTqDg=w1200
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice

Crazy looking pig! Congrats!

I pay a hefty trespass fee every couple years to hunt a primo private property, while I understand your predicament, enjoy it. I feel the pressure hard come day 4-5 on what I consider an almost 100% percent hunt. Got my father on a bruiser fast last year in only a few hours. You never know when it ends but it's always good with meat. I'd agree short, but more hunts end the disappointing way.

As a friend from Louisiana says, "Now thass a hog!"👍

Recent Posts