First Successful hunt for my Son

Josh06

Took my son out for youth deer weekend in Texas hoping to get his first deer but he ended up taking a hog. He's 7 and had never taken any animal before this morning but his first was quite the experience! The hog first came out about 250 yards from out blind, a lone boar so I asked my son if he wanted to shoot it if it got close enough. Of course he said yes so the wait was on, lol. It milled around out at 250 yards then slowly started making it's way toward us down a trail but then ducked into the mesquites where we couldn't see it. It finally popped back out at about 125 yards and spent the next 10 or so minutes facing away and he couldn't get a shot. He was very patient and finally the hog turned where he felt good shooting. He made a good shot, put it right behind the shoulder like we had been talking about and practicing on targets for deer. The hog was quartering to us more than we thought so the hog didn't drop but took off. It ended up running right at the blind, ran by about 20 or so yards to our right and I could see blood pumping out as it went by so thought it would be an easy recovery. He's super excited wanting to get after it right away so we went over to where it ran by and started following the blood. Soon enough we get to where we can see it but it's still up but not looking good and facing away from us. We slowly moved around so he could get a broadside shot and about when we get in position it drops. We walk up a little close and I can see it's still got it's head up so got him set up on a branch about 25 yards away and told him to shoot it in the head. He shoots and the hog jumps to it's feet and spins around like it's about to charge. I went into self defense mode, grabbed his gun, racked the bolt and popped it as it was turning toward us and dropped it right there. All in all a great experience and he has told the story to everyone he's seen....another guy back at camp, random guy in a gas station bathroom on the way home and then Mom and brothers when he got home.

Rifle is a Savage action in a MDT HNT26 Stock, 6.5-06 loaded light with a 124 hammer hunter going about 2700 fps.

IMG_1713.jpg
IMG_1715.jpg

I am always amazed at how hogs just refuse to realize that they are dead. The majority continue to run after solid impacts in the vitals and very little blood left in the tank. In my experience the only way to anchor a hog is in the spine (or ear). Great story. Made me smile thinking about times I have had that were very similar with hogs!

I got as far as "He's super excited wanting to get after it right away" and my wife asked "why are you saying uh-oh to your computer?"

Congrats on the great story and story-teller ... have you taken him fishing yet, lol?

Took my son out for youth deer weekend in Texas hoping to get his first deer but he ended up taking a hog. He's 7 and had never taken any animal before this morning but his first was quite the experience! The hog first came out about 250 yards from out blind, a lone boar so I asked my son if he wanted to shoot it if it got close enough. Of course he said yes so the wait was on, lol. It milled around out at 250 yards then slowly started making it's way toward us down a trail but then ducked into the mesquites where we couldn't see it. It finally popped back out at about 125 yards and spent the next 10 or so minutes facing away and he couldn't get a shot. He was very patient and finally the hog turned where he felt good shooting. He made a good shot, put it right behind the shoulder like we had been talking about and practicing on targets for deer. The hog was quartering to us more than we thought so the hog didn't drop but took off. It ended up running right at the blind, ran by about 20 or so yards to our right and I could see blood pumping out as it went by so thought it would be an easy recovery. He's super excited wanting to get after it right away so we went over to where it ran by and started following the blood. Soon enough we get to where we can see it but it's still up but not looking good and facing away from us. We slowly moved around so he could get a broadside shot and about when we get in position it drops. We walk up a little close and I can see it's still got it's head up so got him set up on a branch about 25 yards away and told him to shoot it in the head. He shoots and the hog jumps to it's feet and spins around like it's about to charge. I went into self defense mode, grabbed his gun, racked the bolt and popped it as it was turning toward us and dropped it right there. All in all a great experience and he has told the story to everyone he's seen....another guy back at camp, random guy in a gas station bathroom on the way home and then Mom and brothers when he got home.

Rifle is a Savage action in a MDT HNT26 Stock, 6.5-06 loaded light with a 124 hammer hunter going about 2700 fps.

View attachment 406003View attachment 406004
Sweet hunt !!