My two 8 points I shot with the 6.5 Gendel & Rem 700

65 GRENDEL

Here's my two Bucks I got this year. I shot the 7 point in the Swamp behind my house at about 100 yards and shot the big 8 point at my hunt club at about 250 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20141107_072010_694-1.jpg
    IMG_20141107_072010_694-1.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20141114_080508_223.jpg
    IMG_20141114_080508_223.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 119
Is the 700 6.5 Grendel as well? I'm looking at putting together lightweight kids bolt rifle chambered for the Grendel. Any insights, or loads you would care to share?

What load with the 6.5 grendel? I went out in the field w/ the factory 123 amax, but didn't get a chance to try them.

The Remington 700 was 30.06 with Timney 3.5 lb trigger w/Hornady 150 gr SSTs and the AR variant in 6.5 Grendel with Hornady 123 gr SSTs.

6.5 Grendel has always been a favorite of mine. I would like to build a 700 bolt gun chambered for it someday. And see how she does with the Berger 130 and 140 Hybrids.

Some of the Guys on the 65Grendel forum are making bolt actions out of the 7.62x39 CZ bolt action platform.
I'm partial to the AR platform nowadays so I like mine the way it is, but for super long distance a bolt action may be superior.
I'm limited by the 6-18-40 Nikon Buckmaster bdc but I have managed to shoot out to 600 yards well.
The Remington platform with aftermarket trigger would make a great long distance rifle.

Some of the Guys on the 65Grendel forum are making bolt actions out of the 7.62x39 CZ bolt action platform.

I found a Ruger Compact 7.62x39 that is likely a donor. I also have a Remington SA .223, but I likely won't go down that path.

Couldn't work up enough affection for the CZ.

Nice bucks. I can't say enough good about the Grendel. I carry one in my truck constantly. Those 123gr SSTs are great hog medicine. I have my Grendel mounted with a 2.5-10x32 PST. It is tons of fun at the range.

Well I did not shoot 2 bucks but did shoot one , with my 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform with a 20" Shilen 1/8 twist Bbl. used a 100gr Barnes TTSX blue tipped bullet with 30.5 grs. IMR 8205 powder .
He was an older deer ,and kinda think he was starting to go down hill a little .!st deer I have got to shoot with it but it worked great .
The Grendel is a very good caliber and I really like the 6.5 bullets ,I am going to turn my 25-06 into a 6.5-06A1 here pretty quick as soon as Shilen gets my barrel finished.
good hunting to everyone on this outstanding website
Navarro1

How do you like the 100 gr bullets, did they knock the deer down or did you have a lot of tracking time.
I have some TTSX bullets in other calibers but I've never shot anything with them.

where I hunt is, kinda central texas the deer are not that big ,and the 100 gr Nosler BT are outstanding on these size deer . I tried the TTSX Barnes and was kinda surprised as the buck I shot ran about 150 yds across a plowed field and ended way up in a cedar thicket .
We found him after about 30 min and when I gutted him the bullet made about a 1/2 " hole and the same size going out ,I lung shot him and where I hit him he blew a lot of lung blood out and finally and it was lucky I saw him run into the thicket.
I am used to a deer piling up using the noslers BT but not so with the Barnes , I have used barnes before shooting hogs and coyotes and they never reacted like this Deer did , and as you know one will fall and some will not. I did shoot him higher than I planned on so I am sure that was a lot of the problem. This time was the first time I have taken any game with this bullet .
I feel this bullet was designed for heavier game , and I feel that If I would have shot him a little lower things might have been different . It was not the bullets fault he ran so far just bad planning on mine.
Navarro1

I shot two deer in Nebraska this November using 120 grain Barnes TTSX bullets out of my 260 Rem..I have become a great fan of the Nosler Accubond bullets for deer at various ranges out to 400 yards. My hunting friends mostly shoot Accubonds out of different rifles, from 260 Rem, 270 Win, 280 Rem, and my 7mmSAum. This year I wanted to see how the TTSX compared, so I loaded my 260 Rem with 44 grains of RL-17, in RP cases and WLR primers. This load averaged 2920 ft/sec across my CED chronograph.

The first deer I shot an average buck at 80 yards took off at the shot and ran about 50 yards before piling up. When I examined the deer I found that the shot was almost perfect, I took off the top of the heart. There was blood on the ground on the off side of the shot and there was a large blood trail. Everything looked great, but I did not see as much tissue damage as I expected at this distance and with the velocity of this load.

My second deer was a doe and I shot her at just under 200 yard and she ran 50 plus yards and stood in a great deal of hurt. I shot a second round and took out both shoulders at about 240 yards.

When I looked at this deer I found that my first shot was a little further back than I would have wanted but it was a killing shot. I think an Accubond would have done more damage.

What did I learn from this? The Barnes bullets do not seem to do as much tissue damage as the Nosler Accubonds do. The load I used could be used on much larger animals than 150-200 lbs deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.