"My" never leave the local gun store empty-handed rule ...

How are the pulldowns?
20230817_231802.jpg
20230817_231410.jpg
20230817_231418.jpg
20230817_231421.jpg

The first 2 are virgin 872 I purchased from Wideners years ago when they still sold powder.
The second two are pulldown 872 I bought from Bartlett last year.
Sorry, the pics kinda suck but I see no difference...

Have you used this in your STW?
I've mostly burned 872 in a load in my 270 win with a 130 grain blem bullet that wouldn't shoot with any other powder.
I currently have some 180's loaded with aa8700 for the 7stw. The rule has always been 93 grains aa8700 on a 140 in a 7stw, and 86 grains on a 175. Well, I loaded these to 87 grains on a 180, as the book went there. It's a bit stout.

This stuff is all basically burnable dirt, and the bore will be rather filthy after a couple boxes. I currently have wc872, aa8700, us869, rl50, and H50BMG in inventory for the overbore rifles. I run h50BMG as the only powder in my 7rum with 175 eld-x bullets. I plan on running more 872 when/if I burn out some of the rl powder I have.
I also burn rl50 and I 7383. Rl50 is about as expected for any 50 cal powder, but I 7383 is an odd duck. It may just be worth it for you to buy this at $10 a pound, or it may be an udder waste of time. I'd read on it before you buy any.
I am currently running I 7383 in a load in my 338win with a blem 185 grain bullet from Midway at 2700 fps. It shoots well, but having originally been in a spotter/tracer application it gets squirrely when you put the cobbs to it. I run it when I want to shoot the 338 without breaking the bank. When you can load 338's for under 50 a hundred, it's a bit easier on the wallet.

At a minimum I would at least buy a bag of black rifle coffee from my LGS however, he stopped carrying it because he could not compete with the local Walmart who now sells it.
So much for trying to support 2 causes. I will still try to buy something at my LGS every trip but BRC is off my radar.

I finally burned some of the new keg of 872 just to do it... It seems slightly faster and a touch less dense than the old keg. I was only able to get 67 gr into a 270 win instead of 69 gr like the old stuff. The pressure also seemed to come up a bit better. The 270 win is a bit small to run this powder in, but I wanted cheap paper punching without caring about speed.

Yesterday I received: IMR 7383 and WC 872. So you are using load data from what for these two.
I finally burned some of the new keg of 872 just to do it... It seems slightly faster and a touch less dense than the old keg. I was only able to get 67 gr into a 270 win instead of 69 gr like the old stuff. The pressure also seemed to come up a bit better. The 270 win is a bit small to run this powder in, but I wanted cheap paper punching without caring about speed.

Yesterday I received: IMR 7383 and WC 872. So you are using load data from what for these two.
With wc 872 it iis very similar to any of the other 50 cal. ball offerings. Just start a bit low (very start load) as being mil-surp. the lots will vary a bit.
With I 7383 I'm running 66gr (lit with a wlrm) in my 338win with a 185 blem. bonded for a mild load at 2700 fps. I could have pushed a bit, but with I 7383 you only want to run it up until the powder burns clean with no chunks. It doesn't like being pushed. Pretty much a paper punching powder with a lot of chamberings. P.M. me if you want to chat more I suppose.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/7383/default.html
this is some info but they are errant on the powder being triple based I think.

I had this same rule, until my LGS kept increasing prices like crazy on reloading gear. I can now buy powder and primers at Sportsman's Warehouse cheaper. Some powders are $15 a pound cheaper at SW now, where just 6-9 months ago, they were the most expensive in town.

I had this same rule, until my LGS kept increasing prices like crazy on reloading gear. I can now buy powder and primers at Sportsman's Warehouse cheaper. Some powders are $15 a pound cheaper at SW now, where just 6-9 months ago, they were the most expensive in town.
I've been seeing the same powder at prices all the way from cheap to head scratching high between stores.
Example; I picked up 3 # of aa4064 for $15 a # at one to buy them out. Another store in town was around $50 for the same powder. I ended up buying a # in another nearby town at $35 to satisfy my needs for a given bullet.
It's not always that drastic but I have paid $20 less or greater by switching stores a few times lately.