My lightweight Howa 6.5x55

Carlos88

An odd duck but I like the caliber. 7lbs 4oz with a 22", 1-8 factory tube. I've had this barreled action for a long time and never completed it with an appropriate stock. Now I need to glass bed it. Going to shoot 120 monos or Sierra Gamechangers 130gr or Hornady 129 Interlocks. May stay with the 129s. Dad shot truckloads of deer with the 129s and they never failed him.

Also need to replace the recoil pad. It's a pathetic contraption as is.

Attachments

• 20220831_155436.jpg
    20220831_155436.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 160
Interested in what you do with the recoil pad. Looks like the Limbsaver on my Howa Carbon Stalker. I like it OK except that its attachment allows it to wobble.
I'm going to unscrew it and just install a Pachmyar thin pad. I don't have a blade to cut carbon fiber at the moment. Going to have to research that a bit. I've installed many, many pads so it's not a big deal on my end.

Great caliber and nice looking rifle. I have had great success with that caliber and 135gr Berger Classic Hunters in 2 different rifles.

Between mine and my buddies 6.5x55 shooting that bullet we have taken 4 cow elk and 2 mulies. None went very far.

Lapua makes great brass for this caliber.

@Carlos88 you can cut carbon fiber with anything you can cut plastic or wood with. I do a fair amount of carbon fiber/ fiberglass/ Kevlar marine projects and I use a fine wood saw blade on a circular saw for straight lines and jig saws for curves. My favorite tool is an oscillating tool for fine cuts. Lay down some masking tape to help prevent "blow outs" like you would do on fine lumber.

Wear a mask and have a fan blowing the dust away from you...... carbon fiber composite dust is some nasty stuff.

An odd duck but I like the caliber. 7lbs 4oz with a 22", 1-8 factory tube. I've had this barreled action for a long time and never completed it with an appropriate stock. Now I need to glass bed it. Going to shoot 120 monos or Sierra Gamechangers 130gr or Hornady 129 Interlocks. May stay with the 129s. Dad shot truckloads of deer with the 129s and they never failed him.

One of my favorite calibers.... not uncommon to see competitors on the 1000 yd. line using that caliber.Hundred yrs. old caliber and has killed many moose in Norway....

hunt the Adirondacks I
My Mod 96. 22" barrel, sporter bolt, Winchester style safety, drilled and tapped for Leupold bases, Does even better with my reloads. When I hunt the Adirondacks I use 160gr.

Attachments

• 6.5X55_tsrget__11_23_14_004.JPG
    6.5X55_tsrget__11_23_14_004.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 53