My How Times Have Changed

B-Bender

Having recently gotten back into reloading for center fire rifle, I thought back to 25 years ago this week. I was loading like a crazy man in preparation for my first Prairie Dog trip to ND and MT. Nosler .22, 55gr Ballistic Tips were $6.95/100. 6mm were $8.95/100. IMR4895 and 4350 was $14.95/lb and every gun store had shelves full. Sigh

Having recently gotten back into reloading for center fire rifle, I thought back to 25 years ago this week. I was loading like a crazy man in preparation for my first Prairie Dog trip to ND and MT. Nosler .22, 55gr Ballistic Tips were $6.95/100. 6mm were $8.95/100. IMR4895 and 4350 was $14.95/lb and every gun store had shelves full. Sigh
I am not sure what your expectations are, but 25 years is a long time without change, and this applies to everything.

i blame several administrations
I talked to Hornady yesterday asked if they were starting to catch up a little yet the lady laughed said not at all they can't get materials to build with so I would agree with several administrations because for years China was buying all our steel and copper they could get their hands on and it is coming back to haunt us. David

I talked to Hornady yesterday asked if they were starting to catch up a little yet the lady laughed said not at all they can't get materials to build with so I would agree with several administrations because for years China was buying all our steel and copper they could get their hands on and it is coming back to haunt us. David
And they're at it again with the clown someone put in office . Scrap prices have almost doubled in the last 4 months. Steel and copper. And it's mostly going overseas

In the 70's 55gr Sierra were $3.20 per box of 100. I still have some on hand. Powder in the 60's was under $2.00 for a single pound. Your wages have gone up too. So it's about even and really looking at it maybe a little cheaper now than before, except for present day shortages. 8 pounds of powder is about $35.00 per pound in 8lbs containers. My wages when I left the construction trade was over $60.00 in 2008. So it's less than an hour for a pound of powder. In the 60's I got about $1.25 per hour. Just out of High School I was up to $4.00 per hour.
So I don't really feel to bad about today prices, if there wasn't shortage.
5.56 ammo is down from $2 per round to about $0.75 a round now. That is all happen since last fall until now. It's still about $0.30 per round to high.
Do I wish I had gotten some item when they were on the shelves Yes. That life, and a little rain will fall.

The far left liberals and staunch democrats (those who vote a straight D ticket no matter the candidate) have no issue with shortages such as this. They would love to see us firearm owners fail to find ammunition forever. I believe it is by design. Without ammo, the firearm becomes a club.

"stick that double barrel out the window and fire two blasts. That will drive any would be robber away".....

I don't mind paying manufacturers or distributors pricing when primers and powder are available for the reasons you quoted. It's the prices I see people paying on sites like Gunbroker that gets me going.
Its just like everything else!! The people on gunbroker are not too blame ... its the people that are basically enabling them too get those prices, by paying those prices and not even needing the stuff!! same with all the posts on this site and other informing people of powder here powder there and so on when in reality keep your mouth shut and don't inform those that are hoarding and it will come back .... just like some local stores blasting that they are getting huge shipment of powder doors open at 9am and there is a line 2 hours long waiting ... *** i get so damned ****ed ... just put the powder on the shelves and it will sell too those actually needing it why create chaos!! they are literally creating the shortage.