My first Russian Boar!

bronco

So I harvested my first Russian Boar over here in Sweden. I have been adopted by a group of Swedish Military hunters. I shot this bruiser at 80 meters. DRT! He weighed in at 127Kilos (280lbs) and we have estimated the tusk length at 19cm. They say I am spoiled now, as it's like shooting a 6x6 elk in you first season. The (loaner) rifle they let me hunt with is a Heym SR30 in 30-06 topped with a Zeiss Diavari scope. Good friends with expensive toys!

Attachments

• DSC_0382.jpg
    DSC_0382.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 158
Definitely looks bigger than 280 pounds! Also, to score a DRT on any pig is a great accomplishment. Those are some tenacious bastards!

280 was the dressed weight, guessing a little under 350lbs live weight.

I was happy with the DRT as well. I was hunting from the ground, in the open, sitting in some tall grass. The landowner showed me what one of the boars did to his dog, unprovoked, only a week earlier. It was gruesome to say the least.

The meat off these pigs is great table quality. Like a cross between pork and beef. Unique but really tasty. And best of all, the wife likes it!

This fall I am going after Moose, Roe, Red, Fallow deer and more pigs. Hopefully my season keeps going well. I missed most of last season because of the move over here.

350 sounds better, but I still think he's bigger than that. (can't believe for the first time in internet history we are trying to convince you that your pig is BIGGER than what you say!)

Well I got the mount back this past week. The big tusks measured out to 21.2cm or 8.34in which qualifies as a silver medal boar in Europe.

Oh and for the record; my knee was in contact with the pig holding it steady for the photo. Not standing 8 feet behind it.

Attachments

• 20121119_162729.jpg
    20121119_162729.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.