My first Long Range hunt in CO

veezer

Last year I found a lookout spot simply by dumn luck and decided this year it would be the place to be.
DSCN1086b.jpg

DSCN1088b.jpg

I spend the winter and spring gathering up parts for a long range build and had Long Shot Rifles put it together for me. By summer's end I was dialed in and making hits out to 900 yards.

So a few weeks ago, we headed to western CO for the big hunt. On Sat, I headed to my spot and all I saw was one bear all day. Sunday was better in that the elk started to move but I just couldnt get a shot, except for the small 6x6 that stood at 50 yards for 10 minutes when all I had was a cow tag. So, on Monday we put a better plan together and one of the guys with a bull tag came with me. When daylight cracked, we spotted a bull about 1.5 miles above us and just watched as he faded into the timber. At 0800 we spotted a lone elk in the oak brush across the valley and about the time we saw him, he laid down to take a nap. Luckily, he was in a small opening and we could get a good look at him. He was a small 5x5 and after some deliberation, we decided to take a shot when he stood back up. He was at 508 yards. I knew we would only have one shot at it because if he took one step either way, he would dissapear. The other issue was my friend had never shot my gun or shot anything that far before.

I dialed in the scope and set up the rifle on a bipod and used an extra shirt to prop up the back of the stock for him. I had him take a few dry fire shots to get used to the trigger and to get him comfortable.

At around 1000, my friend was comfortable behind the gun and I was spotting with binoculars when he finally stood up. We were ready and as soon as my firend was ready, he took the shot. I saw the bull bow up and take about 3 steps and fall over. We sat and watched for a few mintutes to make sure and he never did move anymore. After some celebration, I stayed and he walked across the valley to join my brother in trying to find him. I radioed directions to them and it didnt take long to find him.

Below is a picture of the bull and my prized rifle. He's no monster bull, but a hell of a lot better than nothing and proved to me my rifle works perfectly.

DSCN1102b.jpg

The small red ring in the center of the picture is where the bull was laying.

Attachments

• DSCN1095b spot.jpg
    DSCN1095b spot.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Fine looking bull and rifle. I really enjoyed your write-up and the pictures. When you have the time to tell us a little bit about your rifle and rangefinder set up.

Thanks
Matt

Nothing wrong with that elk at all!! They're all trophies if you ask me....bet your buddy is tickled. I'd let my best friend touch my wife before my rifle :D

Here are the specs on my rifle and a better look at it.

IMG_2908b.jpg

It is a Stiller Tac300 action with a #6 Kreiger barrel chambered in 300WSM sitting in a Manners MCS-T stock. The scope is a Vortex Viper. It isnt a Nightforce, but it works really well and I have no compaints with it. You can't beat it for $350. The camo job was done by me.

I didnt have alot of money to spend on a rangefinder, so I found a pretty good deal on the older Bushnell 1500 and bought it. It has been working really well for me and I have actually ranged brush out to 1500 yds before the sun came up one morning. In bright sun, I can get out to 900 - 1000 yds fairly easy.

The bull was a 5x5 not a 4x4...I messed up on that one. Thanks for catching it.

I let him touch my rifle, but no fondling!!

I let him touch my rifle, but no fondling!!

It's always good to have boundaries :)

Good-looking rifle and it obviously performs. I have a buddy who has flat laid out elk and antelope at 600 yards and beyond with a fixed 10X scope for several years. He just received his Vortex Viper yesterday and he can't wait to get it on his 260 Remington and wring it out. I'm glad to hear about your experience with your rangefinder. I'm pretty tapped out right now and accurate ranging is critical. I like to dream about a Swarovski but realistically it's just not in the cards right now.

Thanks
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.