My first archery elk solo hunt on public land

Knuckleballz

Well it turns out all the analysis of chamberings, calibers, bullets, and powders wasn't a factor for me this year. I drew a special draw montana river breaks archery elk tag. During a 2 week solo hunt on public land, I finally got a 6x6 herd bull with a 7th kicker on one side. I crossed paths with bears, mountain lions, and rattle snakes, and lots of bold coyotes. The constant rain this year was a challenge mentally and physically. I dropped him 2.5 miles from the closest ATV access. Hiking out loads in the mud and rain was a challenge.

Last edited:

Knuckleballz

I took a picture of him with my phone walking towards a cow that was closest to me, picked up my bow and made a 65 yard broadside shot. There was over 20 elk bedded down around him. I had to wait him out for over 5 hours til he got up and moved close enough for a clean shot

ATH

Very nice! Got my first archery bull there too. A very different experience than most locations.

K.B.808

Congrats! Awesome bull and excellent work man. Be proud because that is an accomplishment.

dmj

Congratulations, as others have already said. Very nice bull. Now you are hooked forever.

Knuckleballz

I found this shed 7 miles from where I shot this bull. The taxidermist believes it is this bulls shed. He measured my bull and scored him at 350
20180925_105225.jpg

Trending threads