My first archery elk solo hunt on public land

Knuckleballz

Well it turns out all the analysis of chamberings, calibers, bullets, and powders wasn't a factor for me this year. I drew a special draw montana river breaks archery elk tag. During a 2 week solo hunt on public land, I finally got a 6x6 herd bull with a 7th kicker on one side. I crossed paths with bears, mountain lions, and rattle snakes, and lots of bold coyotes. The constant rain this year was a challenge mentally and physically. I dropped him 2.5 miles from the closest ATV access. Hiking out loads in the mud and rain was a challenge.

Last edited:
20180926_152823.jpg

I took a picture of him with my phone walking towards a cow that was closest to me, picked up my bow and made a 65 yard broadside shot. There was over 20 elk bedded down around him. I had to wait him out for over 5 hours til he got up and moved close enough for a clean shot

Very nice! Got my first archery bull there too. A very different experience than most locations.

Congrats! Awesome bull and excellent work man. Be proud because that is an accomplishment.

I found this shed 7 miles from where I shot this bull. The taxidermist believes it is this bulls shed. He measured my bull and scored him at 350
20180925_105225.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts