My first archery elk solo hunt on public land

Awesome bull!!!
I wouldn't worry much about bears in the breaks, but it doesn't hurt to be careful. Your much more likely to need your sidearm for two legged predators down there than bears.

Yep, black bear tracks and scat in several valleys, including around the elk carcass the day after I had shot it. lots of mountain lion tracks also. I came across a mountain lion den with fresh tracks from the same day.

Yep, black bear tracks and scat in several valleys, including around the elk carcass the day after I had shot it. lots of mountain lion tracks also. I came across a mountain lion den with fresh tracks from the same day.[/QUOTE
Im assuming you know what bear scat looks like. But I could see bears wondering through there.(there is a few in the Little Rockies 60 miles north) and yes lots of big cats in the breaks.

Thank you for the pictures and the story. Congrats on a very nice bull. Bet you can't wait to get back and try again.

That's a nice bull, great pics and a hunt that you will remember for a lifetime. I put a good one in the freezer from the MRB myself this year. You definitely yearn your elk out there. I put 14 days in to put mine in the ground. Well done!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.