My first 400 yard ground hog

justinp61

Today I finally killed my first ground hog with my Savage 22-250 model 12 FVSS, it was 405 yards! That's probably not a very long shot for a lot of guys here but it is for a plinker like me. gun)

I have the same rifle. I've killed at longer distance with a .308. Believe me when I say that you should be proud of that kill at that distance with the 22-250. My farthest with the new to me 22-250 is 417. I tried at farther distances, and that little .224 pill is hard to call wind on. Good job.

I've shot a 22-250 for a lot of years. Great round, but as has been stated those light bullets sure get blown around, especially when you start stretching it past 400.
Good shooting friend. That kind of success will give you the itch for more.

justinp61,
Congratulations! :cool: I did the same thing with the same rifle, about 15 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. When you make the shot, you kinda just sit there and stare at the distance for a while...like you're stunned that you actually made the shot. A cool feeling! :)

Bowhunter57

Congratulations! - I was out hunting after dinner and I got a big groundhog at about 80 yards. 400 is a looonnnggg way out. Keep pulling that trigger!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I had missed this hog a couple times last week so after church Sunday I set up and shot at 200 & 400 yards. This rifle hadn't been shot in almost two years (I played with my .22 rimfire all of last summer) and I thought it was shooting to the right when it was put away. At 200 yards it was shooting 4 1/2" to the right. After shooting at 200 I moved out to 400. The wind was blowing about three directions it seemed between me and the target. After the first three shot group I started dialing it into the wind and wound up with 5" to the left in it. I did shoot two three shot groups that were less than 2" so I was pleased.

My scope is a Leupold 6.5-20 with the varmint hunter reticle, the 400 yard reticle is dead on at 400 at 20X on a 200 yard zero with 36gr of Varget pushing a 55gr 1365 Sierra Gameking. I have shot five in just over .3" at 100 yards with this load. There something about this rifle that is just easy to pick up and shoot well, I can't describe it. It's kinda like a good pocket knife, you know it when you pick it up. I tossed the Tupperware stock not long after buying the rifle and replaced it with a Stockys Gunstocks Elk hunter ambidextrous thumb hole. Long wait but a nice stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.