My custom SSG .300 RUM (Pierce/Russo/Seekins)

mattj

Been meaning to share my baby with you guys for a while, but needed to get out so I could take some decent pics. Here she is:

ssg-right.jpg

ssg-left.jpg

And since I didn't have the mag in for those pics today, here's one from before I finished the stock:
DSC_2569.jpg

Components:

- Pierce Engineering long-action repeater action.
- Pierce Engineering 20 MOA scope rail.
- Pierce Engineering 'tactical' bolt knob.
- Joel Russo 'Seekins Prototype' stock, not-so-professionally finished by me ;)
- Adjustable cheek piece hardware from Master Class Stocks.
- McMillan butt-pad spacer system (custom fit by Joel ).
- Seekins Precision '.338 Lapua' style trigger guard/detachable magazine system, permits 3.910" overall cartridge length.
- Satern Machining 30" cut rifled hand-lapped .308 barrel, heavy palma contour with 1.350" shank diameter, 10 flutes, 1:10" 5R rifling.
- Straight Shot Gunsmithing 10-degree V-Port muzzle brake.
- Jewell trigger with top safety.

Work by Nate (SSG):
- Barrel chambered, crowned, threaded, and brake installed.
- Barrel/brake blasted with "snakeskin" finish.
- Trigger installed, tuned to 2.5#, adjusted for zero take-up and maximum overtravel.
- Stock pillar bedded.
- Action machined and bolt stop modified to accommodate magazine system.

Accessories:
- Harris 6-9" swivel bipod, notched leg model, with KMW Pod-Loc.
- US Optics rail-mounted anti-cant device (AKA bubble-level).
- SniperTools Angle Cosine Indicator with Badger Ordinance GEN I mount.
- Seekins Precision slimline, medium height 7075-T6 aluminum rings.
- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 with NP-R1 reticle and 1/4 MOA adjustments.
- 3" Nightforce sunshade, Butler Creek flip caps.
- TIS Quick-Cuff sling

Weight:
Just a hair under 16lbs with (including everything listed above). Coincidentally, 16 lbs happens to be the maximum legal hunting rifle weight in Idaho (where I hunt with Dad) -- components were chosen with the weight limit in mind, but did not intend to cut it that close (phew!).

Load:
Need to work up a 'hotter' load at some point, but my current load is:

240gr SMK seated .015" from lands
Rem brass
CCI 250 Primer
80.5gr H1000
~2760 FPS

Initial load development group with this load, 200 yards:
load-dev-group-annotated.jpg

Today's group (hampered some by wind and me freezing my butt off):
01-04-2009-target-annoted.jpg

Special acknowledgments:
- My wife: For not divorcing/killing me over my little (expensive) obsession.
- Mr. Nathan Dagley, AKA '.308 Nate': For making a gorgeous laser of a rifle, putting up with me, and being willing to go above and beyond to accommodate the customer.
- Joel Russo: For making an awesome, truly CUSTOM stock, being a huge help in coordinating things and getting parts where they needed to be, and being just a great guy to chat with.
- Glen Seekins: Aside from coming up with the overall stock design, and being the supplier of the bottom metal/mag/rings, helped a ton by coordinating things with Joel and John Pierce re: the bottom metal.
- Long Range Hunting and Sniper's Hide communities: For much of the knowledge and inspiration that went into this endeavor.

Lesson Learned:
Don't try to build a custom rifle with any kind of timeline, no matter how realistic that timeline seems when you start (or, at least have a 'backup plan' in case the rifle is not ready). I ended up cutting it extremely close. This wasn't anybody's fault, just a ton of stuff that all needs to be in place and happen for a rifle like this to fall together. Have yourself a custom built, but save yourself the stress and don't put yourself in a position where you need to worry about whether you will get it 'in time'. Huge thanks to Nate for pulling it out in the clutch for me.

-Matt

Matt, pretty good sources of all your stuff and services. And one of the best lists/stories of how it all came together. Nice job.

I like it! Nice pictures and sweet looking rifle. Thanks for posting the pics and providing details on the components.

And it shoots!!

Nice gun. I like Everything but blue, sorry. I really don't like the blue laminate stocks and they are so popular now. Probably should just keep that to myself.

And I forgot to mention that Nate did a great job on a project for me earlier this year.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I think the blue stock is either a love it or hate it sort of thing, I happen to love it :)

Matt,

It was an absolute pleasure to provide you with this stock, and to talk to you on the phone through this build.

Same goes for working with Glen Seekins and Nate Dagley. It's alway nice to work with the guys here as you know everyone is true to their word and there are no surprises. These guys are top notch.

I often wondered what came of that project..

That is one of the most comprehensive write ups I've seen on a new gun build. Great post, enjoyed the pictures.

Thanks Joel!

I don't think my meager attempt at finishing quite does the stock justice... but at least I managed not to completely butcher it! At some point I may have somebody who knows what they are doing put the high-gloss bling finish on it, but at least now it is functional, and doesn't look too bad :D

For those who may be wondering: I'd planned to have the stock professionally finished (Nate has a guy that he uses who is apparently very good), but that idea was a victim of my time crunch, so I had Nate just finish the rifle without finishing the stock...

When I received it, I popped off the stock and did as many coats of sanding+Tru-Oil finish as I had time for (with the dry time needed between coats). The result is basically what you see-- there's just a little bit of shine when the light catches it at the right angle. It looks good enough to me at this point that I don't feel the urge to remove the stock again and add some more coats... yet.

Anyway Joel, thanks again for your work and all your help -- I'm sure I'll be giving you a call again... someday when my wife has forgotten about this one :)

-Matt

Matt,

I love it myself. That is one fine rifle... Great write up and photos. Nate sure does some fine work. He built a 300 RUM for me not too long ago and it looks as deadly as it shoots. He has my parts for 2 more rifle builds and I know they will look and shoot great.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.