My Black Ovis/Crispi Experience

scott63

Living in Northern California my entire life, the
So I want to start off by talking about Black Ovis, and their excellent customer service. I'd been looking at the Crispi boots they had and the pair I really liked has been discontinued, so I sent an email asking if they would be available later.

I got an email reply later that day, which to me is quite fast. I was told the boot I was interested in was discontinued and would no longer be available, but another model would be available later in the year that was going to be similar.
I then called them to ask about the Kanada and Nevada because their website had a temp rating on one and not the other. I asked to speak to someone that really knows boots, specifically the Crispi brand. I was connected to Dan, and told him I was interested in the Nevada but was concerned about the temp rating and how they run size wise along with a few other questions.
This guy really knew boots and uses the Crispi brand for hunting and backpacking. He answered all my questions and told me about some hunts/hiking trips and how the boots performed. He was really, really great!

Now to the boots. I ordered the Nevada in size 11. I had gone to a shoe store and measured my foot on the old time metal measuring device and according to it I am a mens 11, C width. In the past I have had Lowa, Merrell, Danner, Irish Setter and Soloman and my sizing ranged from 10.5 to 11.5, D to E width for these different brands.

The boots arrived quickly and they look great. When I first put them on I have to say I was very concerned that they might be too tight in the width but were right on for the length.

After wearing them in the house for an hour with just sock liners, the width began to get more comfortable and I made the decision to keep them. After wearing them for a day they are quite comfortable and I can wear them with summer weight socks. I'm not sure I will be able to ever wear winter weight socks, but I'm not sure I will need to. I've been wearing them full time for a couple days and they are very, very comfortable. They have excellent side to side stability and the ankle support is fantastic.

I'm looking forward to my first hike with them, which might be this Sunday. If you are considering these boots and have a wider than average foot, I can't recommend these unless you can get a wide width, if you are able to try them on before purchasing( I believe Black Ovis has a store in Utah) that would probably be preferable.I hope this helps those of you that have been looking at this brand.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts