My baby girl needs a rifle

Well they are getting bigger by the minute but my daughter is first in line for first blood. I totally forgot about a Rossi single shot switch barrel that I had in the garage I grabbed it from a friend at work that didn't want it anymore so I bought a couple matching 3x9 scopes for the .22 and .243 barrels that it came with today. I'll get them used to the scope on the .22 while I develop a load for the .243 and it will have the same scope so it should be pretty seamless. When they are in their teens they will get their own customs. I figure buy once and buy right once they learn how to shoot and are almost done growing.

may not be suited to most people, I realize this. These threads just brings back good times cuz my kids want to hunt by themselves now :( ... I went through this a couple of times , my oldest is now a father of two young girls ( 3 and 3 months) my youngest is now 16 but he was a small lad :) around 60 or 70 pounds when I started hunting with him. one of our hunting stores around here was closing shop and I went in there and there were two A-Bolts for 50% off and I bought them, both were .223 wssm. I bought every piece of brass and loaded Winchester 64 pp boxes they had. he still shoots that rifle. its a shame that those chambers didnt take off , it is a deer slayer, the first year he hunted with me he killed all 3 of his bucks and two of mine lol every shot exited and cleaning the deer my big guns sometimes didnt hold a candel to the carnage to the vitals , many of the shots were pop and flop, I have since started loading the 60 grain partition for them but the 64 grain powerepoint does very well to. I really grew fond of the fast 22s with a tough bullet for my kids. he has shot many many deer now including a 230 pound ten point last year he dropped at 200 yards. now I limit the distance in those rifles , if he wants to shoot out past 300 he shoots a wsm now but i would build a 22-250 and load a tough bullet in a heart beat for a youngster

Attachments

• austin28.JPG
    austin28.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 53
  • austin8p.JPG
    austin8p.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 59
  • austins8.JPG
    austins8.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 38
  • austin7.jpg
    austin7.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 56
  • austinbc.JPG
    austinbc.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 223part.JPG
    223part.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 41
.243 is perfect, especially when you can start out with something really light like the Hornady reduced recoil loads. That will help her get used to a little push, and some noise.

My wife Choose a Left hand Browning X bolt micro hunter in 7mm-08 when she started hunting. (Totally her choice) When the oldest daughter turned 12. She got the Savage Axis youth in 7mm-08. As the oldest boy turned 12 he got the TC Venture in 7mm-08. At that point I was feeling left out so my wife bought me an AR-10 in 7mm-08.

In my opinion it may have a more recoil than the most timid shooter might want, with full house loads, but it's a great choice for the average beginner. My third oldest son was more interested in bow shooting then noisy kicking guns. We put him in for an antelope tag and he decided a rifle was the way to go. I loaded some 120 gr bullets with just enough powder to cycle the action of my AR for him to practice with. He likes to shoot the rifle now. He only shoots 6 to 10 rounds a session and then he's had enough. I think the 7mm-08 would be very versatile for her if you want build it up for her as an adult. A 260 or 6.5 creedmore would also be a great choice. If deer is the largest thing she will ever go after then the 243 is a good choice too. Fast 22's kill deer with the great new bullets available now but they are in the barely adequate category, IMO, and are still illegal in some states for big game hunting. Any of the larger rounds mentioned would definitely give her more room to grow.

Be careful with that Rossi. I have the Trifecta model with 22, 20 gauge and 243. It has the hollow synthetic stock. Nobody in the family but me can stand to shoot the 20 gauge or 243. It's just not a good stock design. I thought the 20 gauge would be perfect for my wife to shoot clays with. She actually preferred my full sized 12 gauge pump over the Rossi. Now she has a semi auto 20 gauge and loves it.

I'm a fan of the 260 for such a role. It needs no introduction on here I'm sure, but I'll just say you can shoot 100-120 grain bullets for deer that are devastating. I have a 700 LSS Mtn that loves 120 Barnes X. I also have a Ruger 77 Compact Stainless laminate that I set up for my wife that she doesn't shoot anymore I may be interested in selling if you are interested.

You can pick up a 700 ADL at academy sports for $400, put a 3 x 9 x 40 Leupold on it and she has a rifle for life. 243 is what I started my daughter and both my boys on when they were 8. each of them have their own 243 and it will last forever. Keep it Simple!!!!!

my son wanted to dress his up a bit after a few years and he put a $99 byods thumb-hole stock on it and it looks like a high end rifle. Enjoy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts